SJ272

Retention of SA citizenship

For those of you that filed these forms in the US, especially if by mail - how long did the process take? Do you get confirmation that the form has been processed? Any issues in the process?

we’re probably going to be back in SA during the summer and I’m wondering if it’s worth spending an hour or 5 in a local home affairs office and doing it in person rather. Any thoughts on this? 

It was about 2 weeks from the time I submitted the paperwork to receiving the letter from LA.  It seemed to be something they issued locally, rather than something which had to be issued at Home Affairs in SA, unlike a passport.

• Like 1

Thanks. Did you pay a fee? I don’t see anything about this on their website, but I’m sure I’ve heard people mention it.

On 1/12/2018 at 8:30 PM, SJ272 said:

Thanks. Did you pay a fee? I don’t see anything about this on their website, but I’m sure I’ve heard people mention it.

It’s $25 per application. Got two check for our applications on Friday. Mailing them to LA Consulate tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes...

• Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 5:30 AM, SJ272 said:

This page of the SA consulate website confirms the $25 mentioned by JJF

• Like 2

Aha, missed that page, stupidly thought it would be listed with the actual form :D

thanks guys! 

• Like 1

It’s great to see we can apply from within the US. But When should one apply for retaining their SA citizenship? And when in year 4 can one start applying for US citizenship? 

Thanks a lot for any help you can give. 

• Thanks 1

You can apply at any time - even a year or two out - there is no expiration date of the retention document once you have it - but it is essential to have it in hand before you take the oath of citizenship for the USA.  The retention is specific to the USA - i.e. if you subsequently go and get a different citizenship, you will need a retention specific to that.  If you send the documents in correctly with the fee etc, it should only take a couple of weeks.

You can apply for naturalization 90 days before you complete the residence requirement of either 5 years (the usual) or 3 years (by marriage) - so, for example, 4 years and 9 months after you became a PR .  Don't apply longer than that in advance - not even by a day or two.

Malamute is spot on! As usual ?

We got our retention letters just this week. Took almost exactly 4 months! Not sure what’s up with DHA or the Consulates, but everything seems to be taking an unusually long time. A friend in Texas has been waiting over 10 months for her husband’s and their two children’s passports! Which concerns us because my wife has a new passport application in since Feb... that puts us in to 2019 territory, messing with our travel plans for next year. The uncertainty is such a rash!

Edited by JumpingJasonFlash

4 months, eek!  Did you do yours via LA?

On 5/26/2018 at 9:19 PM, SJ272 said:

4 months, eek!  Did you do yours via LA?

Yeah, LA Consulate.

As a side note, I see that the NYC Consulate is now saying that all applicatants need to appear in person when lodging applications! ?

If the others go this route, it’s not going to be pretty for many of us...

Thanks so much guys. I wasn’t able to find much info on the NYConsulatw website (being that I reside in SC), just the retention form and the fee of $25. Is that all I have to send in? Or is there another list of supporting documents somewhere else?

1 hour ago, werns said:

Thanks so much guys. I wasn’t able to find much info on the NYConsulatw website (being that I reside in SC), just the retention form and the fee of $25. Is that all I have to send in? Or is there another list of supporting documents somewhere else?

http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/homeaffairs/citizenship.htm

Exemptions issued in terms of the South African Citizenship Act (No. 88) of 1995

Everything required for the application is listed under that section.

11 hours ago, JumpingJasonFlash said:

Yeah, LA Consulate.

As a side note, I see that the NYC Consulate is now saying that all applicatants need to appear in person when lodging applications! ?

If the others go this route, it’s not going to be pretty for many of us...

Whaaaat?

on the one hand it’s not a huge issue for us as we go down to LA every so often anyway (not that I want to spend my free time at the consulate though) but the LA SACG covers a massive area and it’s not so easy for everyone. 

sorry another semi trivial question, did you use one money order and one addressed envelope to cover everyone in your family?i think I’m gonna get them off this week.