SJ272

Retention of SA citizenship

21 hours ago, SJ272 said:

Whaaaat?

on the one hand it’s not a huge issue for us as we go down to LA every so often anyway (not that I want to spend my free time at the consulate though) but the LA SACG covers a massive area and it’s not so easy for everyone. 

sorry another semi trivial question, did you use one money order and one addressed envelope to cover everyone in your family?i think I’m gonna get them off this week. 

It’s an 11hr drive for us. Would be a good excuse to get out that way and visit my friend up in Santa Barbara, but still darn annoying every time you need to do something. Thankfully, after my wife’s passport, we shouldn’t need anything for another 8 years. I hope!

We mailed in our apps separately with, two separate checks and two return envelopes. Funny thing is they sent our certificates back in one envelope, addressed to the both of us ?

• Thanks 1

Ok, I finally mailed my application in yesterday. Given some of the timelines mentioned I didn’t bother paying the extra for 1-day delivery ?  

According to the SACG website current processing time for this via LA is 4 weeks - I’ll update when we get our certificates.

3 hours ago, SJ272 said:

Ok, I finally mailed my application in yesterday. Given some of the timelines mentioned I didn’t bother paying the extra for 1-day delivery ?  

According to the SACG website current processing time for this via LA is 4 weeks - I’ll update when we get our certificates.

Yay! Good luck! Will be interesting to see if they’ve picked up the pace or whether our application was just an outlier.

Update: our forms arrived Monday this week, today (Friday) I received an email from the consulate telling me we need to submit copies of our green cards as well as affidavits that we have no other citizenship currently. I thought I had thoroughly read all that I needed to send ? but apparently not! Anyway at least we know they’re working on it.

Our certificates arrived back today, with a note that the children don’t need them because they automatically retain citizenship if they’re under 18. So just about 2 months from when we sent them in, probably would have been a couple of weeks faster if we hadn’t missed that we needed to send those affidavits plus copies of green cards in.

By the way we had sent everything in one envelope with one money order and one return envelope, all worked out fine.

Edited by SJ272
  • Like 2

For now..I just realized that if I don’t get my oath before my older kid turns 18, which on their timeline I won’t, we will actually still have to do one for her...  lol. First world problems!!!