I wish I could say that we were chosen.........:(

Congrats to those how won

This was my 12th time trying the lottery. I sadly was not selected. Good luck to anyone that was selected.

Number 8 for us and again NOT SELECTED. I've gotten so use to seeing this message I don't even feel sad anymore...;)

Congrats to all who were selected this year. Lucky number 9 for me next year (if it happens)

I'm a lucky selectee for DV2019 with AF26XXX. If 2018 is anything to go by, I am expecting an interview in June 2019, with 2NL in April. But I am aware 2019 will probably not be the same as 2018. 

What influence do you knowledgeable people think the October reentry for DV2019 will have?

Any more winners out there? Let's talk and maximize our chances of getting a visa! 

If all goes well, I want to do farm work in Hawaii, any tips apart from HI being expensive?

Hi Heidi556 - and congratulations on being drawn - an exciting journey ahead for you.  
There is by no means necessarily another draw in October.  This has happened in the past when the uptake of visas was slow, and done to ensure that all the available visas could be allocated.  Most years, this has not taken place.  If it does happen for DV2019 - then it is GOOD news for you - means they are going through the existing pool of selectees quickly, so pretty much a certainty that numbers for anyone drawn in May will be current - and current before the end September 2019 cutoff. Anyone drawn then will have a higher number than you, so will not impact you.

Best thing you can do now is get all your documents in order - marriage, unabridged birth certificates etc can sometimes take many months (and sometimes they are fast).  Also, make sure you have your matric certificate, or equivalent etc.  The only thing to wait a while to get is the police clearance - unless you need to get clearances from other countries you have lived in the past etc.

No tips about HI - but yes, it is one of the most expensive places to live.

Thank you Malamute. I have read much of what you have contributed on this forum, thanks!

Sorry a misunderstanding, what I meant with DV2019 reentry is that there was an entry period in October. Entries up to 19 October had to be reentered, and the entry period changed to 19 October to 22 November. https://ec.usembassy.gov/new-entry-period-diversity-visa-program-dv-2019/

I’m not sure there’d be an impact from the new October entry period as everyone who entered in the valid draw will know about it. (In 2012 when there was a re-draw take up was very slow, but that was because a lot of people didn’t realize the first draw had been invalidated and never checked again just assuming they hadn’t been selected. We had one of those here on sausa who got contacted by kcc near the end of the fiscal year, he hadn’t realized they had to check again until then.) So for this year to come the issue is more how many valid entries they have selected. But in any case 26xxx should be a totally decent number. Congrats, you’re in for a wild ride!!

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Yes I have started preparing all required documents, and already submitted DS260, getting matric certificate, degree, unabridged birth certificate, financials, etc.

I am not married, and will be going over alone if all goes to plan, and I also don't know anyone in the US. So yes, stressing about the need for an affidavit of support, that is the only potential problem.

4 hours ago, Heidi556 said:

Thanks. Yes I have started preparing all required documents, and already submitted DS260, getting matric certificate, degree, unabridged birth certificate, financials, etc.

I am not married, and will be going over alone if all goes to plan, and I also don't know anyone in the US. So yes, stressing about the need for an affidavit of support, that is the only potential problem.

Congrats Heidi556

Unless this is a new requirement for all DV winners- an Affidavit of Support would usually only be required if you can't show your own means off support via enough financial funds (to support you in your initial settling phase when you will be searching for employment etc),  your qualifications and work experience field could also be off benefit. (the officer will know which industries / fields off employment has higher chances off you getting employment.)

In your case being unmarried and no dependable beneficiaries will mean that you require less financial funds than a say a family off 4  (https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p)

This is just a guideline and cases as judged individually and case by case.

Good luck with your journey

• Thanks 1

adventurer1 is 100% correct about the Affidavit of Support.  In most cases, you don't need it, as you self-petition.  You DO need to convince the interviewing officer that you will not become a public charge - so proof you have funds of your own, your ability/likelihood  of finding employment are all factors, and if satisfactory, then no affidavit is needed.  As a DV recipient myself some years ago, that never even came up - they were satisfied that I was employable, had some funds, and, to be honest, they hardly focused on that at all.  

I came over on my own too.  It is easier in one sense (you only have yourself to be concerned with from application, to travel, to finding somewhere to stay, a job etc), but also it is harder as you have NO support, NO backup initially, and have to do everything yourself.  Small things, like listing your emergency contact at work, in systems that only support USA addresses and telephone numbers, can be challenging too.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Heidi556 said:

Hi Heidi, congrats and congrats.  What a wonderful opportunity for a single gal.  We in our 8th month and have never looked back.  As a guideline, 10 000.00 USD, but as Malamute also said, they did not really  focus on it.  Best of luck!

• Thanks 1