Sign in to follow this  
Shamus

DV-2019

Take the handwritten long form, I think someone here once mentioned they managed to get their handwritten marriage certificate was accepted? But I know that when I asked (I also had a handwritten unabridged BC, and our marriage certificate was handwritten) I was told to get the computer printouts for both.

Hi Franette, how’s it going, did you receive your interview date letter yet? 

Kallas, ai ja I hope you come right with the birth certificates you have. Have you applied for the new unabridged birth certificate? Even take the receipt of that Home Affairs transaction to the interview. Were medicals all good? 

[at]Kallas Yes I agree with everyone. We understood it to be the unabridged birth certificates. Ours took two months from application date, so you can hopefully still get it in time if you apply now. Good luck!! Did you have to confirm your appointment with the Consular in Jhb after you got the letter from KCC, or did they just contact you automatically?

[at]Heidi556 Hi there,

Yes! We received our appointment date on Friday evening and it is scheduled for the 2nd week in August. So relieved we don't have to anxiously wait for news anymore 😁

I've contacted the Dr for appointment - am waiting for them to phone me back with a date.

I tried to phone the Jhb Consular to ask how to confirm our appointments, but just got recorded messages and never the option to speak to an agent...Do we have to confirm the appointment online or telephonically, and if so, how?

Did you decide re flights yet? You mentioned a place where they check you through customs before you enter the USA (Can't remember which country now) - are you seriously considering that?

We basically decided to go over in Oct if everything goes according to plan and both Air Kenya and Etihad currently have good deals for both one-way and return flights. About R7k for one-way and R12k for return.

Awesome, I’m glad you have an interview date. I had to call and book an appointent at Dr Hoosen, they are crazy busy. 

Yes, you have to confirm the appointment, it is online where you create a profile and add your postage details for returning the visa. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/JHN-Johannesburg.html

Regarding flights, still looking. No not too keen on Abu Dhabi, it was just an interesting customs thing.

And on that linked page, there are more lists, and links to lists to double check that you have all the documents. 

So Kallas’ interview is next week, and you guys are in a month from now, exciting times! Shoot with questions if you have, a month ago I was so stressed out, it’s an important step this, and a time that we won’t forget. 

Edited by Heidi556
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Heidi556 said:

And on that linked page, there are more lists, and links to lists to double chack that you have all the documents. 

So Kallas’ interview is next week, and you guys are in a month from now, exciting times! Shoot with questions if you have, a month ago I was so stressed out, it’s an important step this, and a time that we won’t forget. 

OK Thanks so much. Realised I made a mistake with airfare rates. Currently Air Kenya and Etihad have R11k return fares for Oct and Turkish Airlines R7k for one-way.

Glad to hear you're all sorted [at]FranetteM! Good luck with the rest. The link that Heidi sent above is what I used to confirm my appointment.

Yes I've applied for my unabridged, and will take the receipt along, as well as the hand written unabridged certificate, just in case. I hope we don't get completely turned down because of that.

[at]Heidi556 my only other concern is the financial side. How in-detail did they check all your stuff? They mention on the JHB confirmation that you should bring the I-134 along. I'm just going to print out our net worth and say we're not planning on relying on any financial support. You think this is fine?

• Like 1

[at]Kallas, it seemed like they spent 30 seconds checking the financials. Yes I think a print out of that will be sufficient. Also your degree is solid, I think you will have no problem at all. And with the birth certificate, I’m sure they won’t deny you outright, at worst I think they will put you on administrative pricessing. 

Thanks Heidi, your words give me a bit of relief, let's hope for the best. Good luck with finding flights. Can't remember if you've already said so or not - have you received your passport back with the visa in?

Jip, I have my passport with visa in, it took a week after the interview. Yes, I found flights, $890 for a return to Honolulu on British Airways, happy with that!

1 hour ago, Heidi556 said:

Jip, I have my passport with visa in, it took a week after the interview. Yes, I found flights, $890 for a return to Honolulu on British Airways, happy with that!

Great price! When are you going? 

You were looking at Hawaii as a potential place to settle, right?

Yes! I’m flying over in September to Hawaii, going to see what Oahu and Big Island is like. I remember you said you have been, where did you go and what was it like?

I’ve been to Oahu and Maui. We heard a lot of bad press about Oahu because it’s “so developed”, but really that’s only in Honolulu proper (which we still found lovely anyway).  The islands are gorgeous. I’m not sure I personally could live there as it’s just so far away from everything else. My one friend’s family comes from Hawaii originally and other than the grandparents everyone is in California now. However it really is gorgeous and I think if you don’t mind the “isolation” (I guess it’s a bit like living in Mauritius would be, just developed) I think it probably has a great quality of life.

Edited by SJ272

17 hours ago, Heidi556 said:

Wow that is a great price for Hawaii [at]Heidi556! We were looking to go last year, but flights were too expensive. I guess it's all about the timing.