Sign in to follow this  
Shamus

DV-2019

On 6/6/2019 at 10:19 AM, Heidi556 said:

Hey! Yes, just finished my interview. Here is a run through for your info. 

My interview was at 08:30 this morning, just two hours ago, I arrived 07:45, and was sixth in line. It is orderly and nothing like a Mozambican border. I had coffee at the Discovery building across the road from the consulate, waiting for 07:45. The first security checks your name on a list, and that you have the correct photos. Through the heaviest door, to other secutity who hold your phone, watch. Next thing is to write name, case number, email on a slip, and they check your passport, and give you a number. Wait for about 30 minutes, called for first interview, where the person behind a glass window asks for passport, birth, police clearance, schooling, financials, and takes fingerprints. I asked to change my US address, changed no problem. Also asked for I-134(?), I replied I will be taking financial care of myself, and gave my financials (first page summary, with bank statements, investments, shares, business, property valuation), she was happy with that. Sent to cashier to pay $330 in $, I had cash, apparently they accept cash Rands unsure of the rate used, and cards. This is in an office building, there is a vending machine and washrooms. Take a seat and wait for 15 minutes. Called to the window, take an oath that all you say is true. Then the interviewer conducts a casual interview, verifying what you submitted, asks where you will be going, working. Very pleasant and friendly. And then she says “I am goingn to approve your application.” Blessed, jipee! 

[at]Heidi556 so all in all your interview process was around an hour long? Due to unforeseen circumstances I have to rush back to CPT asap, so I'm going to change my flight. My interview is also at 08:30, and the flight I'm looking at is at 13:10, which means I shouldn't leave the consulate later than 11:00 - do you think this is reasonable?

Hi, yes I think you will be fine. There is also a Gautrain to the airport that will save you time. I will then make sure to be in the queue at the consulate earlier to be in front of everyone. You should be fine. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kallas said:

[at]Heidi556 so all in all your interview process was around an hour long? Due to unforeseen circumstances I have to rush back to CPT asap, so I'm going to change my flight. My interview is also at 08:30, and the flight I'm looking at is at 13:10, which means I shouldn't leave the consulate later than 11:00 - do you think this is reasonable?

Kallas, everyone's interview time slot for that day will be 8:30. It is not individual slots. If I can suggest, be there early, as you are allowed IN from your position in the line outside. If 'interviewees' before you take longer than expected, it will sure delay you as well. Good Luck

• Thanks 1

Advice please - we have our medicals scheduled for the 4th week in July. As you know it is quite expensive. Both my husband and myself don't have proof of our vaccinations. Is it possible to have the blood tests done by our local doctor and just get the shots at our local clinic or Clicks so we can submit proof when we go for the medicals and if so, do you think it may save us some money there? Also, what do they test for specifically?

Seems like a huge schlep to get blood tests and then vaccinate separately, but I don’t know what any of that would cost. We didn’t have vaccination records for the adults and I think he just gave us mmr and tdap. There were some exemptions from age, and we weren’t in flu season so no flu shot, and we had had chicken pox so no varicella. 

I am fairly sure though that we had had instructions from the doctor (the Cape Town one) not to get vaccinations done in advance. 

Edited by SJ272

Hi all, just finished with our interview. Arrived at 07:30 and parked at Sandton Mall (very short walk across to the consulate). We were second in the queue. As [at]Heidi556 explained, first counter collects all documents and photos, then you go pay, and finally get called to the last counter for the interview. It went unbelievably quick - I gave my abridged birth certificate in and they said nothing about it. Took the oath, and the officer said she doesn't see any issues and will approve our visas today. The officer did not even look at my finance statements. All done now it seems. Exciting times!

• Thanks 1

Hi all, just finished with our interview. Arrived at 07:30 and parked at Sandton Mall (very short walk across to the consulate). We were second in the queue. As [at]Heidi556 explained, first counter collects all documents and photos, then you go pay, and finally get called to the last counter for the interview. It went unbelievably quick - I gave my abridged birth certificate in and they said nothing about it. Took the oath, and the officer said she doesn't see any issues and will approve our visas today. The officer did not even look at my finance statements. All done now it seems. Exciting times!

55 minutes ago, Kallas said:

Wow! That is excellent news. Congratulations! What a relief hey?

10 hours ago, SJ272 said:

Seems like a huge schlep to get blood tests and then vaccinate separately, but I don’t know what any of that would cost. We didn’t have vaccination records for the adults and I think he just gave us mmr and tdap. There were some exemptions from age, and we weren’t in flu season so no flu shot, and we had had chicken pox so no varicella. 

I am fairly sure though that we had had instructions from the doctor (the Cape Town one) not to get vaccinations done in advance. 

Ok thanks [at]SJ272 It is probably better if we don't go off doing our own thing and time is running out with so much else to do. Thanks for the reply though.

37 minutes ago, FranetteM said:

Wow! That is excellent news. Congratulations! What a relief hey?

Yip, huge relief, now to recover from the financial knock from the medicals and interview fees! I only realised on Tuesday that it's $330 per person, and we're a family of four. Good luck [at]FranetteM, if you have all your docs you have nothing to worry about, they're really chilled.

• Like 1

Congratulations, Kallas

It can all start out to be quite daunting, and everyone seems to get VERY nervous about the interview (and there IS a lot at stake) - but for most people, like yourself, it is really almost anti-climactic, and so simple.  People get themselves in knots about it, thinking it HAS to be more complicated, it HAS to be more difficult.....but it isn't.  Key is being prepared with documentation, and the rest is really a breeze.

Let the adventure begin!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kallas said:

Fabulous! 

13 hours ago, Kallas said:

Yip, huge relief, now to recover from the financial knock from the medicals and interview fees! I only realised on Tuesday that it's $330 per person, and we're a family of four. Good luck [at]FranetteM, if you have all your docs you have nothing to worry about, they're really chilled.

Plus another $220 each now to get the actual green card... yes, it’s not a cheap process, especially in rands.

[at]Kallas, Congrats. Good luck with the move and every other aspect coming with that

[at]FranetteM, good luck on the final steps to your process. 

All worth it in the end, though you might some days think differently. Keep going