Sign in to follow this  
Shamus

DV-2019

[at]Kallas Great stuff, it’s easy hey? Glad you got through with no hangups. But it was good to have backup plans. You probably have your passports back? What is the next step for you?

[at]FranetteM How’s it going? You guys must be getting ready for the medical? Make sure to confirm your appointment on the consulate website, hey? And to go to the consulate, not the embassy, I’m sure that mistake has been made in the past. Exciting times. Anything you are doubting? And have you found your flights yet?

I just got back from Transkei diving the sardine run, tons of sharks and wales, and even a few orcas in the water. But back now and waiting for good news, we can have 3 out of 3 cases successful from the help of others on this site. Happiness!

• Like 1

Indeed, actually felt too easy [at]Heidi556!

Now my networking behind, I want to find a job, or at least a few interviews, before we go over. Hoping I don't struggle too long...

[at]Kallas Ok lekker, indeed.com is a good place to scout for work, I’ve done one skype interview, and received one job offer through that site/app. Note that a US style resume is quite different to our CV, and the format is strict. 

Thanks [at]Heidi556, and congrats on the job offer. Can I ask what line of work you're in? Regarding the CV - did you get a professional company to assist you with setting it up, or did you do it yourself?

Congrats Heidi. It’s pretty unusual to actually get a job offer before going over, but right now the US job market is strong so even going over with no offer (as many of us DV winners usually do) is probably no problem, as long as you’ve done some research about going to the right kind of region for the work you want to do.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 4:36 PM, adventurer1 said:

[at]Kallas, Congrats. Good luck with the move and every other aspect coming with that

[at]FranetteM, good luck on the final steps to your process. 

All worth it in the end, though you might some days think differently. Keep going

Thanks so much [at]adventurer1 - we booked into the hotel directly accross from the Consulate to make sure we won't be late!! I must admit sometimes I wonder if it's going to be worth it, starting all over again, but then something (or more than one thing) happens in SA that just infuriates me and reminds me that it is a Lottery we won and how many other people are trying every year and here we won it on the second try. Such a priviledge.

This week the Army was called in to Cape Flats because of gang violence. The Mount Nelson hotel was invaded by 15 armed robbers. I was told I must pay someone R750 to get the City of Jhb to close my municipal account, as they are not reacting to the documentation I already sent per email (as is the process advised by the lawyer when I sold my place). I phoned twice to follow up and every time an agent picked up after about 10 minutes and then as soon as I start to speak they drop the call or put you on hold again. According to the Estate Agent this is quite normal....

I guess what we worry about most, is whether we will find jobs again at our age (late 40's). It seems like there are a lot of people (as per other forums) that really struggle for months to find a proper job.

[at]Heidi556 Yes, we're doing the final prep for our medicals, which is on Monday. Yes, thank you - we did confirm our appointment and they knew who we were - yay! So the Consulate is in Sandton, right? We googled the address as per the confirmation sent by KCC and booked in to the hotel right across, so we won't be late - it's called the Capital Empire and close to Sandton City? We have booked our flights to Jhb, but nothing other than that. We'll wait for the approval first and then will probably go over to USA first week of Oct - flight prices are still steady at R7k one way so holding thumbs.

Wow, sardine run sounds like fun, but scary also!! So you just dive with no protection from sharks? You a crazy girl! 😄

Hi [at]Kallas, how is it going with the job hunting? My husband used resumegenius.com - it says free resume builder, but if you do it online you have to pay a minimal fee to download (as far as I understand).

Going slowly [at]FranetteM... I'm doing as much networking as I can at the moment. Seems companies are reluctant to consider applications further, given that I'm currently in a different country. I guess it's going to help if I go through a recruiting agency, since they could then have this conversation with the potential employer. My plan B is to take the leap, resign from my current job and fly over to go for interviews etc... But I'd like to avoid this as far as possible.

[at]Kallas, honestly, I wouldn’t bother with recruiting agencies. They are mostly a different animal here to what you see in the SA. It will be hard to get a job when you’re outside the US, which also means you will be highly limiting yourself in terms of opportunities. I know it’s scary, but my best advice is honestly to take the leap. Just do some research into areas that are good for your type of job. We had someone on the forum a few years back who battled to find work but he had gone to the place based on cheapest housing market he could find, but housing was so cheap because unemployment was so high there and there were no jobs. US is pretty hot jobs-wise at the moment, and if you are looking in the right region you should find something fairly quickly, I’d expect, bearing in mind many immigrants start out a little lower hierarchy-wise than when they left. My husband was pretty senior in his company on SA. took a cut in position when he moved over, now, 4 years later he is way more senior than the position he left SA at a fabulous company (nothing like it in SA). I hear similar stories like this all the time from our SA expats.

• Like 1

The US job market works in cycles. The best time to find a job is from mid-January through to April.

The reason for this is most companies pay out bonuses in March  So many people wait for their bonus before quitting. The hiring season stops in October around Thanksgiving through to mid-January

See link below

https://careersidekick.com/the-two-best-and-worst-times-of-the-year-for-job-hunting

Suggest you check out jobs on www.indeed.com

If you do post your resume on any search engine do not leave it posted there indefinitely.  Post it for three weeks and then remove it for two weeks the post it again. Keep it Fresh.

Any reference to a recruiter contacting you in South Africa is highly unlikely but it does happen. I had a recruiter call me and spoke on the phone for at least two hours all in all.

For any job in the USA, you will need to provide your Social Security number. Without it, they will not even look at your application. They usually run your SSN number to check out your credit score. As you will have a new SSN number you will be regarded as someone with a low credit score like a Student.

It may be a good idea to get your South African Credit score and put it on your application. You have nothing to lose.

Its all a matter of Patience with getting a job in the USA. When I got here in 2005 I got a job with the TSA at Logan Airport within ten days. (Mandatory drug testing results delayed my application by about a week) I got the job because I was in the SA Army and they were so happy that I knew how to use a gun. Who would have thought that my two years in the SADF would land me my first job in the USA.

Getting the right job took another two months, I landed up in Washington DC, for 9 years then Texas, California and now in New York City. The only way to get your pay up initially is to job hop every few years.

There is no point in coming here in October – January to look for a job it's just a very quiet time.

Although the US economy is doing well it is still a little weak and has not fully recovered from the 2008 housing and stock exchange crash. When I came here in 2005  jobs were really in demand and most companies even Mac Donald’s was giving out sign-on bonuses we have never got back to that sort of level in the economy.  

• Thanks 1

Experience is different to Oscar, my husband got poached for his current excellent job in the “quiet time”... he wasn’t even looking,  lol!  Talking of macdonalds, just about every single shop, restaurant etc around here and through the main parts of the Bay Area has “help wanted” signs, granted they are minimum wage or just above but still, they are genuine, my high schooler earlier this year, zero experience, found a part time job in a well known coffee shop literally within a day of starting to look and they wanted her to start training immediately. The unemployment rate in the US is currently at the lowest level it’s been since the late 1960s https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000 ... it really is not difficult to find a job at the moment. It may or may not be the ideal job for a new immigrant, but you should be able to get your foot in the door pretty easily. It may be regional too, the Bay Area is booming, nyc may be less so because globally there have been a lot of layoffs in the investment banking/finance arena and nyc is disproportionately affected for that. Again, understand where to look for what you do. Just remember to do a US style resume and understand how the auto filters work so that you word your cover letter correctly.

• Thanks 1

Thanks [at]SJ272 and [at]oscar for your valuable inputs. Another timing challenge is that we have to be in the States before the first week in December (expiry of our visas). So if I don't come right with a job from this side, I'll inevitably have to go across, and then it may be worth the while that I then stay there and continue the job hunt. If the SSN is also a hurdle in getting a job, this means I'd anyways first hand to land in the US to "activate" our immigrant visas. Will keep the group posted in case anyone finds it useful.