Sign in to follow this  
Shamus

DV-2019

On 8/6/2019 at 10:02 AM, FranetteM said:

Sadly still a week (of stress) to go. So Heidi, how did you decide on which products to try and farm in USA? Is it intended for local use or export? Is any of these trade war rediculousnous influencing your decisions?

How'd it go [at]FranetteM - hope it's good news?!

Hi everybody, So unfortunately there must be someone that has been put on administrative processing to keep things interesting, right?

😁 ok, not a disaster at least - I didn't have my passport with the USA tourist visa with me at the interview. They need to cancel that Visa before they can issue the new one. Apart from that, we're all good to go.

We were interviewed by a youngish guy - very friendly. The first question was - so you guys are married right? (My husband and I got married after he won the entry, so we were expecting some probing questions. Then he asked when we got married - my husband said Oct last year. Then he kept quiet a bit (and so did we) and asked if either one of us were married before. We said no. Then he asked if either one of us have children and we said no. He then excused himself and I thought oh-oh, now he's going to come back and grill us. But no, he just asked us to do the oath and then he asked the exact same questions again. He stamped our documents and then we realised I didn't have the 'correct' passport (I have three at the moment, because I had to get a new one with my new surname for the DV visa).

So he approved both of our visas in principle and now I just have to courier my passport to them and after they have received that they will send our new passports and immigration packets within 5 - 7 days. So at least we don't have to go back to Jhb. Very relieved and so excited!

Hoping this can help someone else in future.

That sounds ok, I’m sure you are jumping on sorting it out right? Be sure to keep a close eye on the progress, time. 

Your interview sounded very chilled also. I guess it is almost flight booking time. 

22 hours ago, Heidi556 said:

That sounds ok, I’m sure you are jumping on sorting it out right? Be sure to keep a close eye on the progress, time. 

Your interview sounded very chilled also. I guess it is almost flight booking time. 

Yes, the Consulate should receive my passport today, so basically we've just been delayed by a week. Well, not really delayed - it's just going to take a week longer to receive our passports back. [at]Kallas and [at]Heidi556 have you completed your immigration forms and paid the immigration fees yet?

We would ideally like to go over first or second week in October. Not sure if we'll get everything done by then, but can only try our hardest. Selling all our furniture and have to sort out through boxes still not unpacked from the previous move, to decide what we're taking with. Will feel like we're starting with brand new stuff! 😂

[at]FranetteM Yebo, I paid the $220 USCIS immigrant fee online, you can pay with a SA card no problem. But you need your alien registration number that is on the visa. 

Edited by Heidi556
  • Like 1

Awesome news [at]FranetteM, sounds like you guys are A for away! 

I haven't paid the immigration fees yet. As far as I understand, this only has to be paid before you go over, right? I'm planning on waiting a little longer, perhaps middle November, before going over so I'll pay the fees in the next two months or so.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FranetteM said:

...to sort out through boxes ... to decide what we're taking with.

FrannetteM,

If I may ask, which transport company are you guys going to use to get your stuff that side?

[at]FranetteMI’d suggest following up in a week or so if you haven’t heard back. We also had to send something later (our police certificates because the police records department was on strike when we were going) and though they had received them and issued the visas, they hadn’t then updated DHL or whatever (I don’t recall the details) and nothing was happening till I called to ask where our passports were.

[at]Woekes, 4 years ago now but if you take a container, we can highly recommend biddulphs. They packed up expertly in SA, loaded the container, organized unpacking and placement the other side (some posters here had to unload and unpack themselves, in a short time frame because the drive had to take the container back). We were also able to track the container exactly every step (wave) of the journey.

On 8/21/2019 at 9:43 AM, Woekes said:

FrannetteM,

If I may ask, which transport company are you guys going to use to get your stuff that side?

We got a reasonable quote from Biddulphs for a part load in a 20 foot container. I'm also going to ask for a quote from Laser Logistics. We're not taking any furniture.

One thing to bear in mind on a part load container is that if the container is stopped and opened at customs because of something the other party has packed,  you can’t really “prove” it wasn’t you and get stuck for half the costs associated with doing so, as well as obviously any delay involved. This happened to a friend of mine.  I don’t think the costs were huge, and still worked out way cheaper than a container to themselves (a couple hundred dollars maybe? I don’t recall exactly) but still, it’s not money you want throw away.

We were advised to just not transport any alcohol in the container by the way - apparently that often leads to an inspection. We only had a few “special” bottles so we transported those in our accompanying luggage. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woekes said:

Thanks SJ272

We are reconsidering the whole container option. Maybe just start fresh!

Regards

So the advice we were given is it depends on what you have/what you want. For the $10k or so it cost for a container (at least when we moved) you can pretty much easily kit out a whole household from ikea or similar and have change. If you have furniture that was particularly good, or custom made etc, that kind of thing is far more expensive in the US, even at the normal shop level.

for example dining table and 6 chairs at ikea you can get for a few hundred dollars at the lower end, at crate and barrel that is more like $3-4K, if you want to go higher end like restoration hardware you can end up at $7-8k. Now obviously the average SA immigrant is not looking at spending $8k on a dining table and 6 chairs. But if you have already really nice furniture then weighing up the cost of the container vs the cost of replacing it with the same kind of thing is something to think about, because good furniture especially is relatively cheap in SA. Most other things are relatively cheaper in the US, however, and for that I’d definitely say sell and start anew is probably the way to go.

If you have your final residence all set up and confirmed it should work out good. But just remember if yo still need to ship across the USA fom coast to coast that could cost you another $12 - $16k and from Maryland to Hawaii would cost $18k

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oscar said:

If you have your final residence all set up and confirmed it should work out good. But just remember if yo still need to ship across the USA fom coast to coast that could cost you another $12 - $16k and from Maryland to Hawaii would cost $18k

Should work this out with the shipping company. Our container came across the Indian Ocean/via Singapore from Cape Town to California. Was just about the same cost as shipping to the east coast and then didn’t need time/$$ for extra transport across country. Obviously if one is inland somewhere there will presumably be an extra cost.

we didn’t have an address yet when we moved but knew the city we’d be in and that we’d be in a rental by the time the container arrived, and we updated our address with the shipping company when it landed. No problems. 

Edited by SJ272
  • Thanks 1