Sign in to follow this  
Shamus

DV-2019

20 hours ago, FranetteM said:

Hi Kallas, not sure whether you have been sorted by now. We had the same problem. We arrived 17 Oct and when we went to the Social Security Admin after almost 2 weeks, we were told we're not in the system yet. We had our passports with us and also our unabridged birth certificates. That is basically all the info they ask for. It was really quick to apply and we received our SSN's yesterday, which is basically a week later.

Hi [at]FranetteM, thanks for the update. Glad you guys managed to settle in relatively quickly. We fly out on Sunday, very hectic times 😬 

Regarding your SSN, how adamant were they about your unabridged birth certificate? If you recall, I ended up going through the entire DV process with only my abridged birth certificate and all was OK. I applied for my unabridged in June - I just off the phone with them (5 months later) and it is still "in process", apparently they're still looking for my records. So frustrating....

On 11/5/2019 at 6:58 PM, SJ272 said:

Hey franette, welcome, glad you are already sorted with somewhere to stay and that the fur baby is good! 

(I had to laugh at your motel 6 comment, we also had a first and last experience at one, ours was in Orlando, trying to save money back when we were traveling on rands...never ever again lol)

Good luck with everything from here!

Thank you so much SJ272!

We also stayed at the Clarion Inn in Fredericksburg for only $10 more then Motel 6 per night. The room was clean, the beds were great, the staff was great, it had room service and our buffet breakfasts were included on the rate! We made use of the room service option, as we were really exhausted. The food was fresh, good value for money and the breakfast was incredible! Can definitely recommend them.

On 11/5/2019 at 7:20 PM, oscar said:

Motel 6 is generally not the greatest place to stay. - Often hear about murders and a place for guys to stay when their wives have kicked them out of the house.

As you stayed at a Clarion they have loyalty points register and ask for your rewards number. There is a nice Clarion at Ocean City Maryland,   right on the beach and the also have a dog floor for guests that are traveling with dogs. Really a nice place to stay for a few days in the summer.

Yes, we did register for the loyalty points before we arrived. All the Choice hotels are included. We also stayed at a different one - can't remember now which one it was in Florence, SC, but that was even worse than the Motel 6! Will choose Clarion Inn any time.

6 hours ago, Kallas said:

Hi [at]FranetteM, thanks for the update. Glad you guys managed to settle in relatively quickly. We fly out on Sunday, very hectic times 😬 

Regarding your SSN, how adamant were they about your unabridged birth certificate? If you recall, I ended up going through the entire DV process with only my abridged birth certificate and all was OK. I applied for my unabridged in June - I just off the phone with them (5 months later) and it is still "in process", apparently they're still looking for my records. So frustrating....

Hi [at]Kallas! I thought you were in the USA already. No, you don't have to present your birth certificate. My husband and I went together and all he asked for were our passports, but because they have to fill in all the details as on the unabridged birth certificate, my husband just gave his to the administrator when it was his turn. I had to write everything down on a piece of paper, because of the spelling. Think - what is your mother's first names - Susanna, Johanna, Francina - see what I mean? I could have just handed him the birth certificate instead of writing down everything. They only want to know that and where you were born basically. Very easy.

We fly out on Sunday, very hectic times 😬

Good luck [at]Kallas. Am glad that part is over for us! It is only a blur now. We packed until half past 5 the morning before our flight and they came to collect our dog at 7am. I honestly don't even remember much of it. At some points when unpacking, I was quite surprised by what I had managed to squeeze in. And other times I think to myself - how could you not have brought THAT!? 😂

Enjoy the adventure, good luck and let us know how it went!

Hi everyone!
My experience with social security card; it did not arrive automatically, had to go in to SSAdministration (there is one in Honolulu and Hilo), and you just complete a form, bring passport, did not need birth certificate. And it was in the mail two weeks later. Kallas, no mail gets delivered in rural Hilo/Mountain view, call USPS or ask locals, so find an address that you know works, this is also NB for green card. 
Regarding the green card; mine was sent to an address in Hilo, undeliverable, and was sent back to the mainland, have a new address now, so will hopefully arrive soonish. 
Otherwise all is well, been surfing, diving, hiking, running, and loving Hawaii. 
[at]Kallas When are you back on the islands, have you found a house, car, yet. Toyota or Ford? Shout if you and your family are in Honolulu, I’ll show you guys around a bit.

[at]FranetteM Great, so it all went well for all of us on here this year, are you guys settled in, and finding the new place interesting?

• Like 2

[at]FranetteM I was there just for an interview and to meet the company. Then I came back, resigned, and started with the big trek. The final move is on Sunday, very long flightS back to Hawaii. Mixed bag of emotions on this side I must say.

[at]Heidi556 thanks, we'll probably only be in Honolulu for the layover which is short, but I'm sure we'll meet up sometime since those islands don't seem too massive. Glad to hear you're having a blast - I hope the rain has subsided since we last spoke.

• Like 2

[at]Heidi556We really struggled to get a place to rent. I was organizing it from SA. They don't seem to be willing to help once they know you don't have a credit score. I wanted to settle with the doggy as soon as possible, so that was my biggest battle, which I won with help from an expat Estate Agent in Atlanta. We had to settle for a year lease though, but only paid one month's extra rent as deposit. We haven't had much opportunity for sight seeing, and have only bought the very basics, like inflatable bed, kitchen stuff, 2 bar stools, a fold-up table and 2 chairs. We like the neighborhood though - it is very quiet, not far from shops. Most of the things we need is in an 11 mile radius from where we live. People are real friendly here. We gave up our rental car and using Lyft to get around. A lot of places deliver, so we are finding that very helpful while we research banks, cars, credit cards, phones/technologies, etc.

Yes, overall we're settling in nicely. I love Savannah so far. (The weather has also been fantastic!)

Good luck in Hawaii!

Edited by FranetteM