Shamus

DV-2019

Hope you get everything sorted out with your doggie. Despite all the warnings above, the US is generally very dog friendly.

Very true statement - it is that stupid <1% you need to watch for and they exist everywhere, not just the US.

That is hilarious!! 😂

The worst part of that encounter is that my dog was super kid friendly and wanted to say hello to his about 7 year old son (Who was totally excited about that fact) but the father freaked, adding "to the "keep your viscous dog away from me" with Can't you see my son is terrified?".

I am assuming that my laughter and sarcastic comment which was something about grown men being babies while his kid was cool was the reason he stormed off in a huff dragging his poor son with him. 👼 At least that is what my wife tells me!!!

• Haha 1

News article on recent attack by pit bulls, posting because it mentions an apparent max number of dogs (not clear if any dog or if pit bulls specifically) you can have there, as well as the fact that the dogs are currently with animal control in quarantine awaiting a hearing with the owner.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/Woman-Attacked-6-Dogs-Taunton-Massachusetts-509124531.html

I received my 2NL last night 🙂 and have an appointment early next month in Johannesburg. So the 2NL's came in two batches, one batch on 15 April, and the second on 30 April. Mine fell in the second batch. I have registered my appointment on consulate website, and busy scheduling medical. The doc wants 4x SA passport sized photos, so going to get those, so yeah, that's about it.

Franette and Kallas, how are your things going?

I also have a German Shorthaired Pointer, so finding the dog advice valuable. 🐾

On dogs...again...in the news yesterday, someone let their dog off its leash in a no-dogs area of a state park (even in areas they are allowed they have to be on leash at all times) and it killed an endangered type of seal pup...potential $11k fine in addition to the misdemeanor charge...and all entirely avoidable.  Always follow the rules...

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Heidi556 said:

I received my 2NL last night 🙂 and have an appointment early next month in Johannesburg. So the 2NL's came in two batches, one batch on 15 April, and the second on 30 April. Mine fell in the second batch. I have registered my appointment on consulate website, and busy scheduling medical. The doc wants 4x SA passport sized photos, so going to get those, so yeah, that's about it.

Franette and Kallas, how are your things going?

I also have a German Shorthaired Pointer, so finding the dog advice valuable. 🐾

[at]Heidi556 you must be so excited, I hope all goes swimmingly! 

I eventually received my newborn's passport (her photo is hilarious), and have subsequently submitted all required documentation to the KCC. I then received a mail from them yesterday, stating that their records indicate that I have successfully submitted all DS-260 and required documentation for all applicants. Could I ask more or less how long, after receiving this confirmation mail, did you wait before receiving your first NL?

Excellent! That is the same mail I got after submitting, so your things sound in order. You did submit documents via email right (passport biodata, police clearance, birth certificate, etc), not just the new DS-260 for the newborn? So now you wait for your second notification letter 2NL, which will be sent from May 15 and 31, or June 15 and 30, or July 15 and 31. July is the last month. Either of those months because the documents take time to be processed. 

The second notification letter, is an email with a link to check the ESC Entrant status check website. 

Franette, if you still have not received an email requesting documents, I would really send the documents now. I have read of people submitting documents without KCC asking for them, and getting a reply that all documents are in order (the one Kallas and I got). I say this because the documents take time to get processed, and time is running out 😬. Get them in, good luck 😄.

Edited by Heidi556

That's correct - I mailed all those documents (passports, PCC's etc) to the KCC.

Ok great, so if I understand your mail, I've already received the 1st NL. The 2nd NL - does it have the interview date, or do you have to log in to the Entrance Status Website to check your date?

Yes, that’s correct. 1NL = “You have been randomly selected...”, it is what you will see on the ESC page now. 2NL is also on the ESC page, it just replaces the 1NL and appears after the email, and it gives you interview details, date, time, place. The email is just a link to the ESC page. 

• Thanks 1

Well done Kallas and Heidi556!

Heidi, no, as far as I know we haven't received an email requesting our documents yet. I am very worried now. The other problem is that we haven't received our Police clearances yet either. We applied 29 March and only got an sms last Saturday to say that they (the police) have RECEIVED our applications. When KCC answered our previous enquiry, they clearly stated that we must wait until we have ALL documentation for all applicants before we submit. What do you think we should do? Also, I noticed on our unabridged birth certificates that Home Affairs didn't put our Mothers' and Fathers' ID numbers, even though we gave it to them when we applied. Do yours look the same?

Heidi, can you please confirm what is the email address they use for requesting the documents? Maybe we missed it somehow and can do a search...

[at]FranetteM, On the unabridged birth certificates, neither my husband’s nor mine had parent ID numbers. Mine had my parents’ birthdays, my husband’s only had the ages his parents were on the date he was born!  I think they just take whatever was in the written record at the time and copy that. The key things are the parents’ names and your place of birth, I think.

Edited by SJ272
  • Like 1

Hi Franette. My unabridged birth certificate also only has my parents name and date of birth. The email address KCC used to request documents was “KCCDV[at]state.gov”, with “Further DV Documents Required” in the subject line. So then I guess you have to wait for the police clearance, is there no way to expedite it? I still think once you get the police clearance, to send KCC the documents without waiting for an email requesting it. If I were in your shoes, I will definitely send the documents. 

Kallas, which states are you guys looking at? And are you going for a look-see-decide trip, or just emigrating? Franette, where are you guys heading first? The US is so huge, everything from subtropical, desert, big cities, to Freestate plains. 

• Like 1

[at]Heidi556 we've got a short list of cities we think we'd like to settle in, but as you say, the country is so massive that we're hoping to get a proper feel once we're there. At the moment it's between Southern California and Texas... The aim is to go for good... Yourself? BTW - once the interview is scheduled and all in order for the interview, what's your take on the chances of actually getting the green card?

Cool, yes it is not possible to decide from here. I think you have to go check the places out for yourself. Texas sounds so great, and California for the coast and the agriculture. I think as you say if the interview is lined up, documents in order, the chance of getting a green card is very high. Like get ready to enter the US within six months, kind of high.

For myself, requirements are a place where I can set up a farming enterprise, and have a mountain or two to go running. I am going to two states to get a feel for the place, Hawaii and Texas. In Texas I want to check out North of Dallas, Frisco, Amarillo, the places that are suitable for livestock and pecan nut farming. Then in Hawaii, Big Island for macadamia nut and coffee farming, and Oahu for the possibility of buying a house and finance it through renting it out or airbnbing the place. But yeah, very difficult to get a feel of the place from here, so planning on going over in September for six weeks or so.

Edited by Heidi556

Thanks for the info Heidi556. Ok, so we'll wait for the PCC and then submit all documents whether thay have asked for it or not.

My husband works in the steel industry, so we're looking at Pennsylvania or possibly New Jersey at this stage. Texas is also a possibility. My husband did a course last year at Penn State University and we quite liked the area. I also have a friend who lives close to Philadelphia, whom I met through being a host on airbnb can you believe it? Your plan for getting a house in Hawaii sounds good Heidi - I'm sure you'll do well through airbnb.

If I could choose and jobs for my husband was not a limiting factor, I would have probably chosen one of the Southern States, as I love the culture and would like to do a blog on food/culture of the area. Maybe South Carolina (Charleston) to start off with. My best friend stays in Raleigh, North Carolina and that is also a very nice area.

Heidi, I met a guy last year in Ballito and he also has farms in SA and is a farm manager in New Jersey (I think fruit in New Jersey, not sure about SA). He was super friendly and I'm sure he would be able to give advice regarding a variety of issues. Would you like me to try and make contact with him, or are you all good?

Hi everybody, so at long last we received the email yesterday to say that our DS-260's have been processed and to submit supporting documentation. Now we just wait for the PCC and it's all systems go! So relieved!