Shamus

DV-2019

Hey! Yes, just finished my interview. Here is a run through for your info. 

My interview was at 08:30 this morning, just two hours ago, I arrived 07:45, and was sixth in line. It is orderly and nothing like a Mozambican border. I had coffee at the Discovery building across the road from the consulate, waiting for 07:45. The first security checks your name on a list, and that you have the correct photos. Through the heaviest door, to other secutity who hold your phone, watch. Next thing is to write name, case number, email on a slip, and they check your passport, and give you a number. Wait for about 30 minutes, called for first interview, where the person behind a glass window asks for passport, birth, police clearance, schooling, financials, and takes fingerprints. I asked to change my US address, changed no problem. Also asked for I-134(?), I replied I will be taking financial care of myself, and gave my financials (first page summary, with bank statements, investments, shares, business, property valuation), she was happy with that. Sent to cashier to pay $330 in $, I had cash, apparently they accept cash Rands unsure of the rate used, and cards. This is in an office building, there is a vending machine and washrooms. Take a seat and wait for 15 minutes. Called to the window, take an oath that all you say is true. Then the interviewer conducts a casual interview, verifying what you submitted, asks where you will be going, working. Very pleasant and friendly. And then she says “I am goingn to approve your application.” Blessed, jipee! 

Edited by Heidi556
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations Heidi waiting for the approval is the most exciting part of the process! This brought back memories from 14 years ago, nothing has really changed.

Congrats Heidi, did you use your School Qualification or Work Experience?  

A thing they stress at the first interviewer is that you have to have all the required documents 100% ready and correct, if not you will be denied or placed on consular processing, and this late in the year means a high probability of not getting a visa. 

Kallas and Franette, hope this helps. 

16 hours ago, Heidi556 said:

A thing they stress at the first interviewer is that you have to have all the required documents 100% ready and correct, if not you will be denied or placed on consular processing, and this late in the year means a high probability of not getting a visa. 

Kallas and Franette, hope this helps. 

Oh wow [at]Heidi556! That is awesome. Congratulations!! Thanks for the info. We at long last got the email back to say all our supporting docs and ds-260's are in order. Now just waiting for interview date. So I'll go check and see if I can find info about I134...

Did you take originals as well as certified copies and do they keep certified (colour/black n white?) copies? How many? So our dr asks for 6 photos per person I think and I think they need 2 more at the Consulate. Is that correct?

Edited by FranetteM
spelling error

😁 Ok, so they want original documents at the interview, and one set of normal copies of the originals. I had certified copies, but it was not needed. They kept the copies. 

The doctor wants four SA passport sized photos, and at the interview two photos US sized (50x50mm). But this info is in the instructions. 

Cool, I’m glad your documents are in order. So hopefully you will receive your 2NL from 15 to 30 June, or then 15 to 31 July, or 15 to 31 Aug. 

• Like 1

[at]Heidi556, when we went they took the copies of all documents except the police certificate where they wanted the original - is this still the case?

[at]Heidi556 congratulations - very exciting indeed! So what is the next step(s) for you now?

Quick question regarding the financial part of the interview - I've read through the information on the web pages from both the state.gov and the Joburg embassy, but cannot seem to find any request for financial documents (e.g. the I-134 nor the bank statements). How did you know to take this along with you?

Thanks Kallas, ja so happy! Next step is to receive my passport via courier, it should be here in this week. I have been looking at flights, short term < month are at a premium, flights in September are better priced, around ~$1600 for a return to Honolulu. Interesting, if you fly via Abu Dhabi, there is a CPB immigration there, where you hand in your immigration docs, then Abu Dhabi to US is like a local flight with no customs.

Ok, so much of the financial tips I learnt from SAUSA, and Britsimons blog. The principal is; you have to prove that you will not become a financial burden on the US. The safest way to do that is with a form I-134. It is a form completed by a US citizen or permanent resident, that say that they will be responsible for your finances if you claim financial assistance from the US. I did not, nor any South African I have heard of, did not have someone willing to complete a I-134. So in the absence of this I-134, you have to prove you will not be a financial burden to the state. This seems to be the norm at Johannesburg. I did this by summarizing my financials. My first page was a summary, and pages attached proving the finances. It included bank account savings amount and three months statements, investments, property valuation. I asked my auditors to make a persoonlike balansstaat, that’s it. 

The idea is to prove that you and your family will be financially ok in the US. A job lined up, degrees like yours mec eng(?) is desireable, so include that for sure, existing savings, liquid assets, saying you will sell your house for Rx. All that helps to show you have means to support you and your family in the US. 

• Like 1

During my interview, the first (South African) interviewer asked if i had I-134, i said no i am taking financial care of mysef, then i said i have these finances to support mysef. 

The second interviewer (US girl) asked nothing about finances. Just asked what degree, and what field i will be working in. 

Edited by Heidi556
  • Like 1

That's really helpful, thank you [at]Heidi556. I'm about to pull on a few strings that I have in the US regarding job opportunities, which will then help with the financial "guarantee". Just a bit difficult applying with not yet being a permanent citizen. But I'm sure I'll make a plan :)

Wow, so you'll be out of here pretty soon!? I'm dreading (if all goes well obviously) the admin side of things - e.g. selling furniture, cars, putting house up for rent (we won't sell just yet), etc.

Haha, those are good problems to have. That also means you can list in your finances the rental income. 

If you have family there, they could be willing to fill in that I-134, then it’s easy. 

Edited by Heidi556

47 minutes ago, Kallas said:

That's really helpful, thank you [at]Heidi556. I'm about to pull on a few strings that I have in the US regarding job opportunities, which will then help with the financial "guarantee". Just a bit difficult applying with not yet being a permanent citizen. But I'm sure I'll make a plan :)

Wow, so you'll be out of here pretty soon!? I'm dreading (if all goes well obviously) the admin side of things - e.g. selling furniture, cars, putting house up for rent (we won't sell just yet), etc.

Good luck with all the planning and packing, Just remember to  Disclose rental income on your IRS Tax return. From the date of arrival in the US. Once you become a green card holder or US citizen all income received from anywhere in the world is taxable.   

• Like 1