Sign in to follow this  
adventurer1

California Road Trip

According to San Ramon city info there’s an ACE train from Pleasanton and as already said no BART station, they talk about how to get to these from San Ramon transit center, or get a bus in? Oscar can you remember what train you took?? (County connection and AC transit are bus lines)

http://www.ci.san-ramon.ca.us/our_city/departments_and_divisions/public_works/transportation/commute_options/public_transit

Edited by SJ272
  • Like 1

I just came back from a vacation to Vancouver, Seattle and Portland... Marijuana whiffs  everywhere. Our friends in Portland actually have three big healthy marijuana plants growing in their garden.  Legally they are allowed to grow 3-4 plants.

Seattle has bad traffic as well.  

interestingly if you live in Washington state you only pay Federal tax but no state tax. Sales tax is 10% but a lot of People drive to Portland for monthly shopping to save on the sales tax 

Edited by oscar

Oh adventurer - if you guys want to do the ferry to Alcatraz, be sure to book well in advance, especially for summer.  We had friends who tried to book a month in advance and couldn’t get on ...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SJ272 said:

Oh adventurer - if you guys want to do the ferry to Alcatraz, be sure to book well in advance, especially for summer.  We had friends who tried to book a month in advance and couldn’t get on ...

Thanks for the head up!, will most likely be on the to do list. I have several reminders on my calendar for ''stuff'' that need to be booked in advance but that not ''open'' yet. Will add this one

2 hours ago, SJ272 said:

Ok maybe there’s an ACE train. tbh still not somewhere I’d choose for staying for leisure especially with teenagers, though it’s a good spot if you are trying to check out typical suburban towns to live around here :)  It’s far from the city - that’s why both real estate and hotel prices are relatively cheap for the Bay Area. I’d rather go with an Airbnb in north beach or something to save some $$.  I mean, part of the fun of the city is the lights at night etc, you miss that staying in the suburbs and I don’t know, taking a hour to get back to the hotel after a long day sightseeing is not my personal preference, guess it depends on how much $$ you want to save. Differs from work traveling.

as for marijuana , yes it’s legal here (for over 21] and do you smell it often. Seems no one smokes cigarettes but you will always get a whiff of marijuana smoke around the city.

Its true- part off the whole idea would be to stay a few nights in the city, right. Same as when we get guests I always suggests, (though we are only 46 min train from NYC GC-Terminal) its worth the $$ to at least spend one night IN NYC. Different story for everyday life.

Big Sur; Monetery/ Carmel are all on the list now. 

Napa Valley might have to wait for another trip (or is it worth a day trip from SF?- or should one rather do a whole wine tasting trip on its own? Is the wineries like in the Cape - where its worth to do a few days with different stop?)

Napa Valley is a touch too far for a day trip you could do it from San Ramon but it will be tight. Its best to do it more leisurely and spend a night in the Napa area.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oscar said:

Napa Valley is a touch too far for a day trip you could do it from San Ramon but it will be tight. Its best to do it more leisurely and spend a night in the Napa area.    

Thanks

Will check if we have some spare days then- good to know, somethings should not be rushed

When visiting Napa Valley you may want to consider staying in Calistoga is a small town outside Napa. There is also an APP you can get for your iPhone called "Napa Valley" to give you some ideas.

Calistoga is cute, but I don’t think Napa is all that special after the cape winelands tbh. Sonoma is also an option for wine lands and Sonoma town is also very cute, with one of the original missions (though the mission in Carmel is much more impressive). Coming from SA would be more inclined to see the redwoods than wine farm country. If you go towards Sonoma and want to spend a night away, further on there is Armstrong redwood forest up that way which is much less crowded than Muir Woods, near Guerneville on the Russian river - really beautiful part of the country imo. The kids can do stuff in the river, kind of arty bohemian town, another town Sebastopol near there too so either of those are accommodation options. You can do it as a day trip if you push,  it’s about 2 hours drive away.

[at]Oscar what about stuff down your part of the world? What are your recommendations for what to see road tripping around there?

2 hours ago, oscar said:

When visiting Napa Valley you may want to consider staying in Calistoga is a small town outside Napa. There is also an APP you can get for your iPhone called "Napa Valley" to give you some ideas.

Great 

1 hour ago, SJ272 said:

Calistoga is cute, but I don’t think Napa is all that special after the cape winelands tbh. Sonoma is also an option for wine lands and Sonoma town is also very cute, with one of the original missions (though the mission in Carmel is much more impressive). Coming from SA would be more inclined to see the redwoods than wine farm country. If you go towards Sonoma and want to spend a night away, further on there is Armstrong redwood forest up that way which is much less crowded than Muir Woods, near Guerneville on the Russian river - really beautiful part of the country imo. The kids can do stuff in the river, kind of arty bohemian town, another town Sebastopol near there too so either of those are accommodation options. You can do it as a day trip if you push,  it’s about 2 hours drive away.

I would have never considered any off these, 

Big thumbs up to you all