GoDz85

Immigrating to USA as a teacher

Good day all,

My wife and I are considering immigrating to the USA. She is a qualified teacher with a bachelors degree. 

How would one start the process? Has anyone has success? 

Looking forward to your response

Edited by GoDz85

Firstly, she’d need a work visa, and any route to immigration in the US would not be certain via a work visa. That would require her employer to sponsor her in due course for a geeen card, which is a complex process involving labor certification etc. but if you are ok with coming over on a work visa recognizing the risk that you may have to return home at some point this can be a route to go.

For work visas you need someone to sponsor you, for teacher that would usually be a H1 visa. (An H visa is “dual intent” and allows for a possible conversion to green card, subject to the employer filing for it and various criteria being met.) It will probably be quite difficult for a H1 to happen as a teacher (I presume you mean school teacher, it’s easier for university academic staff members) because the sponsoring organization has to show it is unable to find local people to do the job being sponsored, and because each state requires that teachers in its state be licensed there. She might have more luck with a J visa, see https://j1visa.state.gov/programs/teacher/ ,but this is a non-immigrant visa with a 3-year limit and requires that you spend 2 years out the US before being able to repeat it. (Also note that a bachelor degree equivalent usually means 4 years for the US, so assumes an SA honours degree if it was a 3-year B-degree in SA; I know some of the older education B degrees in SA were 4 years long but not sure if that’s still the case?)

My understanding is that it is easier to get into Australia or Canada using this kind of route, work visas in the US tend to be much harder to get.

in the meanwhile long shot as it is, suggest you enter the DV lottery in its next round (should be open October), it’s how a number of us here got into the US.

Edited by SJ272

Thank you so much for your reply. We have tried the DV Lottery route a few times without success but I will give it another chance this year. When is the draw?

The entry period will be 3 October- 6 November and the draw will be in May (if it is as per usual, the first working day of May - I don’t think exact draw date has yet been announced). 

7 hours ago, GoDz85 said:

Thank you so much for your reply. We have tried the DV Lottery route a few times without success but I will give it another chance this year. When is the draw?

Remember there is just one official website, the rest is scams

www.dvlottery.state.gov

it costs nothing to enter. You and your spouse may each enter with the other as dependents. Make sure to list all dependent children etc

Never use the same photo as before (it gets you disqualified immediately, without even knowing)- the rules states that it needs to be a recent photo (not older than 6 months). I assume they have software that dispose off the entries with duplicate photos from previous years. 

We've won on our 5 or 6th try

Good Luck 

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:00 AM, GoDz85 said:

Don't get to discouraged with the DV lottery. It is still possibly the quickest way to get a visa. We have applied 11 years ago for our immigration visa (F3) through official channels - and still waiting. Playing the DV Lottery is a "gamble", you might just be luckier than us 😉.

Good luck