Sign in to follow this  
SJ272

SA passport expiry to enter SA?

Does anyone know if a minimum passport validity applies to SA passport holders entering SA? Or is it ok as long as it’s unexpired? (I do know we would need to check transit requirements too)

No, the minimum validity period doesn't apply to a SA passport  - you can enter up until midnight on the day it expires.  The reason they have the validity rule, is that for foreign passport holders, they need to have a valid passport to leave SA again, and as many of them are admitted for 3 months, and can apply to extend etc, the general  rule is that passports need to be valid for 6 months beyond the date of entry to avoid a foreign passport holder being stranded in SA with a passport that is no longer valid, and they can't leave.

However, on a SA passport, there is no expectation that you would/need to leave again and no requirement to hold a valid passport while you are a South African in South Africa. I have gone in with less than 2 months remaining, and no problem.

4 minutes ago, SJ272 said:

Thanks, Malamute!

Pleasure!  It was actually my last trip that I went in - arrived in March, and SA passport expired in May.  I had intended to try and get a new one while in SA, but I couldn't get to it on my first 2 days in SA, and then it would have been too late.  So, instead I applied through LA on my return, and got a new one here 7 months later 

I entered SA 2 weeks before my passport expired - they didn't even have a second look look at it.