Sign in to follow this  
OP1985

DV-2020

Judging from other forums it’s the usual issue of the server being overloaded for a couple of days. Good luck to all SA entrants! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OP1985 said:

Any winners?

I have sadly not been accepted - this has been my 13th year playing the lottery. Maybe next year! Hope there are better news for someone else.

Sorry woekes....hope your F3 (if I remember correct?) doesn’t take too much longer...

Thanks SJ272 - Yes the F3 looks like it should "happen"  around October 2020. Lets hope for some miracle that it happens sooner!

.....and Breathe.

We have been selected but with quite a high number. 

We won in 2014 but chose to stay in UK. Not sure about whether we will even  become current with our number but you never know! :) 

• Like 1

Congratulations... (I think...).  I was selected in 2008 with a very high number, and I was already in the process of moving to the UK - so I did.  My number became current - and only just with about 200 to spare - in the very last month, so I proceeded with the visa.  However, I had settled very well into the UK, and was on the fence for quite a while before deciding to leave there and move to the USA.  To be honest, still not sure I made the right decision, but I do feel the opportunities and outlook here have been excellent.   I was in the UK for about 2 years before the actual move to the USA, so not long enough to get citizenship there, so no option of going back now.  I presume you may have by now - so that will always be open to you.  

One of the things that made me really decide was how rare the opportunity to move - Green Card in hand - to the USA actually is, and clearly the universe was giving me a message.  Perhaps, being drawn TWICE now - you are getting a message too!  Good luck with it all, whatever eventually happens. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Malamute :) 

We will definitely go through the motions of applying etc (our number is high at AF663xx) but the application is not what is stressing me its all the challenges with 3 boys (and 2 dogs!) that comes with moving countries. 

Can I ask on your timeline to moving to USA from the UK? 

Winning it twice has definitely made me pause and wonder if the choice has been given to us again for some reason we have yet to discover. This time I seem to be the more cautious one as it really is early days where as my husband is whooping like a cowboy (last time he was the cautious one!) 

Glad its the weekend as a much earned braai and bottle of wine is needed ;) 

Hi Heidz, congrats on another selection! May I ask, how old are your kids? It often seems to be the case that children (and certainly dogs, after the stress of the trip itself) settle much easier than parents as they tend to have ready made structure, routine, social circles etc from school.

Heidz - happy to share my timeline, as far as I remember:
- May 2007 - sold my house in SA, got my UK visa (Highly Skilled visa at the time), and then received my DV 2008 notification (number was AF62XXX - so very similar to yours)

- Sep 2007 - Moved to the UK (with dogs....they went to France, where I also stayed for a while - to get through quarantine etc)

- Sep 2008 - Obtained the actual DV visa at the US consulate in London

- Dec 2008 - Actually landed and validated that visa in the USA.  10 day trip, returned to UK (applied for Social Security card while in the USA, but actual plastic GC had not arrived)

- May 2009 - Made a 5 day visit to the USA (The Visa, once stamped, is valid as a GC for one year, so that was my entry document).  I did this trip so that I was not absent from the USA longer than 6 months - if you are, the 'clock' to the 5 year wait for citizenship resets.  I had already resigned my job in the UK to move over to the USA, but had to work a 3 month notice period.

- August 2009 - Arrived for good in the USA.  I still did no have my plastic GC (Turns out later, it HAD arrived at my friend months earlier - but her husband had carefully filed it away for me in his office, neglecting to tell her.....).  I still, therefore, entered on my visa.  They questioned me about it, but no big deal, and let me through.

- Oct 2013 - Applied for US citizenship (just less than 90 days before the 5 year initial arrival in the USA)

- Jan 2014 - Naturalized as a citizen

Agree with SJ272 - kids and dogs will settle.  Although the logistics are more complex, it is much easier to feel at home quickly here in the USA if the whole family unit (including canines) are here together. You will be moving in various circles (schools, work etc, so will have multiple channels to build relationships).  I moved on my own.  It was fine - logistics much easier (My dogs both passed away before I moved full time to the USA - it WAS complex moving them from SA) - but when you are on  your own, you only have yourself to rely on too - and the onus is on you soley to build friendships etc.  

(Bringing dogs into the USA is a breeze - no quarantine, and easy to meet health requirements).  Depending on where you move to, finding a house with a fully enclosed yard for them, is a bit more challenging - especially if you are looking to rent - with dogs. (Americans like the open feel in neighborhoods) - but you certainly can find them.

Enjoy the wine - and the braai!  

Well the Aug VB is in with some 2020 data and although still early to hope? - there actually might be a chance with our high number!? When we originally won in 2014 - there were over 900 South Africans that year and this time I think just over 162 and altogether only just shy of 84k selectees so fingers crossed! Now to go and talk to hubby as he had convinced himself this wasn't going to happen so stopped all the whooping :) 

Malamute -thanks for the timeline - just one question - from the date of visa to when you moved you went to US twice, once to activate the visa for the GC and second to not be absent for longer than 6 months so all in all it took you just under a year to move with 2 trips to the USA? 

SJ272 - we have 3 boys - 7, 11 and 15  and I guess it's just moving them again. 

Heidi, definitely some change. This is the lowest number of overall selectees I can recall seeing , and there are still big chunks in certain countries (Egypt 5.5k, DRC 4.7k, Albania 3.6k, Russia 5.1k, Ukraine 3.3k and a few over 2k, and some of those counties have high fraud/refusal rates.  Also max per country is 3850 so not all those high selection countries can even get visas. I’d be very surprised if all countries don’t go current a couple months at least before fiscal year end.

3 hours ago, Heidz said:

Well the Aug VB is in with some 2020 data and although still early to hope? - there actually might be a chance with our high number!? When we originally won in 2014 - there were over 900 South Africans that year and this time I think just over 162 and altogether only just shy of 84k selectees so fingers crossed! Now to go and talk to hubby as he had convinced himself this wasn't going to happen so stopped all the whooping :) 

Malamute -thanks for the timeline - just one question - from the date of visa to when you moved you went to US twice, once to activate the visa for the GC and second to not be absent for longer than 6 months so all in all it took you just under a year to move with 2 trips to the USA? 

SJ272 - we have 3 boys - 7, 11 and 15  and I guess it's just moving them again. 

That IS a low number of South Africans drawn - lowest I've seen for at least a decade, (in 2014, there were over 1 000).  Also a low number of people notified.  The last time it was around 84k was 2017, then all numbers for Africa were current by the May, so you are definitely in with a pretty good chance, despite a fairly high number.   
Yes, I did two trips before the 'final' trip.  8 months in total between the first trip when I landed on the visa, and the 'final' landing, with the intermediate trip done at the 5 month mark.