Sign in to follow this  
RiaanGouws

Unabridged certificates

Hi All,

My parents recently applied for their Unabridged Marriage certificate. It came back in the long form only saying Marriage Certificate. According to the company they used, South Africa stopped printing the word “unabridged” on the certificates. Is this true?

Thank you!

Hi RiaanGouws

It seems to be true

Both Birth and Marriage Certificates are now only the long form and states just Birth or Marriage Certificate at the top. (a Family member had this done as well)

As long as their marital status before the marriage and all their details Full names and Last/ Surname as well as (Country of Birth, ID, Birth date and previous surnames) are on it, it should be fine

USCIS rejected the marriage certificate(it has all the information) and issued an RFE. 

According to the company that assisted with everything you have to get a letter from the US Consulate. I would think that if this was a change that USCIS would have accepted the certificate without the word unabridged. 

This is strange

Our family member's marriage and birth certificates in the new formats were accepted. This was originally for I130 via USCIS and then NVC. (consular processing in Jhb)

Are your parents doing Adjustment of Status in US or Consular processing? 

I would suggest you contact uscis.johannesburg[at]dhs.gov and ask

I remember the family member originally send in the hand written marriage certificate (as they were waiting for the Printed long form one). Don't know if that makes a difference. They were also recently married.(2016)

Keep us posted. 

Good luck.