Sign in to follow this  
Eliab

Thinking of moving back to the US

Wow! It’s truly been ages since I was last in the forum. I hope life has been kind and fair to my fellow immigrants. Brace yourselves!! 

Well I moved back to SA, yes the worst happened, ended up unemployed for almost two years and then started working then lost my job again. I tell you this does a number on a person who is highly skilled in their field (Auditor and Accountant). I know, everything everyone said sort of came to pass. 

Now I am thinking of moving back to the states, I think I will have better luck finding employment there! (Somehow I became over qualified or something) But my moving resources are not the same as before. I will be starting from scratch again, since home car etc are no longer there.

So I can say, I have had tough couple of years. But trying not to bore everyone with the hardships of life. Meaning I would rather hear what you have to say.

Has anyone had to move back to the US, if yes/no I would like to hear how things panned out? Has anyone successfully applied for a job in the US while in SA and succeeded? 

27 minutes ago, Malamute said:

Hello Eliab
You will find this forum is not nearly as active as it used to be - I think many have moved on to social media platforms like Facebook pages for South Africans etc.  However, there are still a few posts now and again here.

Sorry to hear about the tough times you have been through.  The job market in the USA is pretty good right now - although it always depends on what you are looking for and where etc.  So, if you are not too picky, there are certainly abundant opportunities.

Most important is probably your ability/status to work - i.e. did you get citizenship before you left to go back to SA?  If you did, then you can pretty much move anywhere (and maybe try somewhere new this time - the States is a vast place full of great places to live).  If you didn't - be aware that you may likely have  lost your permanent residency if you moved permanently back to SA a couple of years back - and therefore moving back to the USA would indeed be starting from scratch with some sort of sponsorship visa etc.  Hopefully that is not the case.

All the best in what you decide - there isn't a 'right' decision, only what is 'right for you' decision. 

Well I held on to my citizenship, it’s a hard decision to make, this moving thing. Well I have sort of abandoned Facebook after all the leaks and everything happened. 

Since I am not married and don’t have any kids yet. I thought Its probably best if I move now and start again and see where life takes me again. I think I am wiser, that should help right. I hope so. 

As has been said, the job market right now is fairly hot & good for job seekers.

Naturally that can vary by city & State but in general job seekers do have the upper hand with more jobs than job seekers in many cases. That being said there is talk of a looming economic "slowdown" happening in the next 12 to 18 months or so the experts would have you believe so best to act soon before that advantage goes away.