Sign in to follow this  
Janneman

Done and Dusted

Hallo Folks, I've been MIA for a long while now due to health issues... but I'm still here! 😀

The big news is that we have become citizens at last - 14 years after our arrival on H1B and H4 visas. It took 9 years (2 years shorter than expected) to obtain permanent residency, and of course, it took another 5 years before we could apply for citizenship.

We did not go the dual-citizen route, because when visiting South Africa, one is required by (South African) law to enter on your SA passport. That means that you are a bona fide South African citizen for the duration of your stay and if anything happens to you, the American embassy cannot help you. One can actually be pressed into military service if needed.

So, after all these years, immigration is finally done and dusted. 😀

Congratulations, Janneman - 14 years is a long time to wait for that blue passport, but you got there!  

Personally, I don't think there is a right/wrong decision about dual citizenship - it is all about personal circumstances, plans, and quite honestly down to personal choice.  I can see why people do, and why people don't.

As for myself, I kept it - it wasn't actually too much hassle to renew the passport through the LA consulate - lots of paperwork and a bit of a wait, but all ok.  I like having different options.  Yes, as a South African citizen in SA, it does limit what the USA embassy can do for you (it doesn't mean that they can do nothing).  Even on a USA passport, as purely a USA citizen, it is limited what they can actually do for you - e.g. evacuation (which is not a likely scenario in SA - and quite honestly very rarely actually offered by the USA even in countries where there are wars going on), or being a victim of crime in SA (a much more  likely scenario) - they can help you with a new passport, temporary financial assistance (you pay it back), contacting family etc.  

Enjoy your new citizenship and all that comes with it - next month, we vote!

Hey Janneman...I’d been wondering what had happened to you! Sorry to hear about health issues, hope you have smoother sailing from now on. Congratulations on the citizenship!

Congratulations on securing your Citizenship. I don't blame you for not doing the dual citizenship route. It's a nightmare to renew SA Passports. 

Good to have you back!