Sign in to follow this  
SJ272

Just when I thought it was all over....

Holy moly. Like many others, we only got long form birth certificates for the kids for visa purposes (we had actually asked at the hospital for one for the youngest but they messed it up and we got the short form). Well, I applied for my under 18 kid’s passport at the same time as mine a few weeks back after I naturalized. I just got a letter from the passport dept saying that because her birth certificate was issued more than a year after her birth, I need other evidence that she’s actually my child! The fact that she got her visa/green card as my child seems irrelevant??! We don’t still have any of the secondary documentation that they’d use as evidence (medical, insurance etc records with both her name and mine as parent around the time of birth)... we didn’t think we needed to bring decade old Discovery Health bills along when we immigrated  🙄 ..so it looks like we’ll have to a dna test as proof. I can barely believe how insane this is. Has this happened to anyone else?

Haven't experienced that - but have certainly heard about it - and  quite a few South Africans on the SA Facebook page report having to do exactly the same for the same reason - i.e. birth certificates issued too long after birth - and lawyers weighed in and said, yes it is quite often the case.  

Ah, ok I don’t tend to hang out on the SA Facebook pages, or I might have been better prepared. Oh well... this whole process has been so expensive anyway, what’s another few hundred dollars 🙄

Yes that happened with my daughter as well, I used the little yellow immunization  card that we were given in the hospital that had her name and my name on. I cant remember if I used anything else. We were also on Discovery back then and I think you may still be able to look that up online that she was put on your medical aid. Discovery should be able to give you that info.