Sign in to follow this  
bushbabyPTA

Police clearance - new process

interesting - I wonder if this now takes longer.  The two sources have conflicting information about the delivery of the fingerprints to Pretoria:

In the news article, it states:  " Members of the public are no longer expected to deliver their documentation to the Criminal Record Centre in Pretoria, as was previously the practice. It is now the sole responsibility of the SAPS to compile and deliver the form to the Criminal Record Centre (CRC) on behalf of the applicant."

On the SAPS website, it states:  "Applicants living in South Africa may, at no additional costs to the applicant, request the police station to forward the applications to CR & CSM in Pretoria. *The applicant may also in person deliver the application to CR & CSM in Pretoria* or use the service of a postal or courier service at his/her own cost."

11 hours ago, Malamute said:

interesting - I wonder if this now takes longer.  The two sources have conflicting information about the delivery of the fingerprints to Pretoria:

In the news article, it states:  " Members of the public are no longer expected to deliver their documentation to the Criminal Record Centre in Pretoria, as was previously the practice. It is now the sole responsibility of the SAPS to compile and deliver the form to the Criminal Record Centre (CRC) on behalf of the applicant."

On the SAPS website, it states:  "Applicants living in South Africa may, at no additional costs to the applicant, request the police station to forward the applications to CR & CSM in Pretoria. *The applicant may also in person deliver the application to CR & CSM in Pretoria* or use the service of a postal or courier service at his/her own cost."

The "path" is basically the same now as for when you apply for a firearm licence. Just for the firearm license you must go to your local police station, fill in all the paperwork etc. They take your fingerprints and then they (SAP) send all to an office in Pretoria. They do that weekly and they also get info back on a weekly basis.

My guess is that will be an extra 2-3weeks max for those stations not close to Pretoria (Criminal Record Centre)

ps: On the other hand I have seen people not close to Pretoria get their firearm licenses before those that applied in Pretoria. (Same application date)

I had my police clearance done 2 months ago (NOV). What a nightmare!!

Had the police forward the application to CR & CSM. Waited a 1.5 months - no reply or indication that they received the application. (Was told, by the police station where I applied, that I will receive a sms once they begin processing). I inquired and was told by the CR & CSM that they "lost/misplaced" my application. Was told to resubmit an application.

I then contacted Team Visa and Travel (https://www.facebook.com/TeamVisasAndTravel) - I can really recommend them. They couriered me the documents that was needed. Went to the police station for the fingerprints, Couriered the forms back to them .They went to deliver the documents personally and ensured it was being processed into the system. 

After 3 weeks I received my certificate delivered by DHL at my door. About 3 Weeks later I received the "lost" certificate from the police station. So now I have 2