Sign in to follow this  
oscar

Public Charge Rule

The new Public Charge rule came into effect on Friday. This mainly affects lower-income people with Green Cards who have not become citizens yet. that have fallen on hard times and claimed benefits from the Government for assistance or food stamps. 

Here is the link

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/27/supreme-court-allows-trumps-public-charge-immigration-rule.html

1 hour ago, oscar said:

The new Public Charge rule came into effect on Friday. This mainly affects lower-income people with Green Cards who have not become citizens yet. that have fallen on hard times and claimed benefits from the Government for assistance or food stamps. 

Here is the link

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/27/supreme-court-allows-trumps-public-charge-immigration-rule.html

It also effectively places a greater burden on disproving public charge concern when older immigrants are concerned, so it might affect even not so low income families (but not particularly wealthy ones) sponsoring parents, especially when those parents are at or close to retirement age and/or have health concerns.

Here are the uscis pages on public charge, I have quoted the factors they use.

https://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-sheets/public-charge-fact-sheet

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/public-charge

when making a public charge inadmissibility determination, a USCIS officer must consider the applicant’s: 

• Age; 

• Health; 

• Family status; 

• Assets, resources, and financial status; 

• Education and skills; 

• Prospective immigration status; 

• Expected period of admission; and  

• Sufficient Affidavit of Support 

With the democrats presidential  nominations this year, I think it will be highly unlikely that with Bernie Sanders will win. So looks like we will be stuck with this for another 5 years. 

Edited by oscar

Probably an accurate assessment if Bernie gets the nomination. 

I do actually think that the existing bar to public charge was way too low ($32k per year pre tax income for a family of 4? Come on!) but I had a look at the new form that has to be filled in and it’s crazy. Especially for people from places like SA converting everything from rand, when they look at what you’ve been earning/saved, it doesn’t translate into what you can earn in the US. Got to be a reasonable middle ground. 

18 hours ago, SJ272 said:

....... Especially for people from places like SA converting everything from rand, when they look at what you’ve been earning/saved, it doesn’t translate into what you can earn in the US. Got to be a reasonable middle ground. 

This has been a worry of mine too. After waiting patiently in line for 13 years we finally have our interview date on the 12 of March. I got this for from our immigration attorney yesterday and after I sent it back to her, her first question was if we do not have any property to sell?! So I am a bit worried! But there is not much we can do except hope for the best.

12 hours ago, Woekes said:

This has been a worry of mine too. After waiting patiently in line for 13 years we finally have our interview date on the 12 of March. I got this for from our immigration attorney yesterday and after I sent it back to her, her first question was if we do not have any property to sell?! So I am a bit worried! But there is not much we can do except hope for the best.

just a suggestion, will depend on your current work/age.

Get your latest pension and retirement annuity statements showing what it is worth. that might just be more than enough. it is savings.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SJ272 said:

Good luck [at]Woekes  . Been a long, long wait for you. Hope it all goes well.

4 hours ago, bushbabyPTA said:

Get your latest pension and retirement annuity statements showing what it is worth. that might just be more than enough. it is savings.

Thanks SJ272. It has been LONG! I do not foresee any problems though and as BushBaby correctly states - My Retirement docs would help quite a bit.

• Like 1