Sign in to follow this  
oscar

Covid -19 Virus

USA / Canadian border to remain closed for another month to protect citizens from either side.

We had four tickets for the Broadway show  "West Side story" for the end of May $230.00 a ticket. I was surprised to see that my American Express card was credited with, what we had paid months ago.  Nice of them to refund without our even asking. We thought that we would have forfeited the money paid. 

Appears all Broadway shows are cancelled for May 2020.

Edited by oscar

Interesting article on infection rates in different urban areas, the charts show the picture well

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Charts-show-Bay-Area-crushing-the-curve-vs-15217396.php

- Bay Area was first to implement a form of lockdown and has resulted in a really flat curve (I heard they are even restarting elective surgery and cutting back nurse hours as the cases have been so much less than expected)

- NY started a bit later (just a few days makes a huge difference with exponential growth), plus high density 

- New Orleans looks really bad, attributed by many to the fact that they did not cancel Mardi Gras 

Edited by SJ272

It appears that commercial flights between many countries will not start up again for at least another three to four months,  and Australia is considering no International flights until 2021, as countries are concerned about the second wave of Covid -19

Our Head Office in New York issued an email that they may consider opening the offices at the end of May but it will be a gradual thoughtful approach to return to work.     

Oscar,  may I ask what industry you work in? That’s very interesting...

I am also particularly interested as my daughter is at college in NYC and I really hope she can go back properly in fall...

• Like 1

I sent you a DM

Take Care

• Like 1

Another 3.2 million Americans applied for unemployment last week bringing the total unemployment in the USA to 33.5 million since mid March 2020  

New York City opening up again:

Upper New York - Opening this Friday!

New York Manhattan - Beginning of June

Broadway Shows : From September 6, 2020  

We have about 16 weeks to go before there could be another surge in Covid-19 in the fall.  This  gives everyone some time to start hoarding the toilet paper, hand towels and Clorox wipes. 

Edited by oscar

[at]oscar- when you say NY “opening” - what exactly - all shops and offices? Or more staggered?

There was a really interesting (I thought) article in The Atlantic by a prof at Harvard. Basically saying we need to figure out some kind of harm minimization approach, because you can’t just keep everyone locked down until there’s a vaccine. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/quarantine-fatigue-real-and-shaming-people-wont-help/611482/

Appears its going to be a more gradual approach to opening in Upstate New York, allowing Landscaping services, Drive Ins , Tennis Courts and recreational  activities.

For NYC There is not much information  other than depending on the death rate in two weeks time, will determine the opening and it will be very much slower. Even though Broadway will be opening in September we are not to sure, how the seating will be allocated.

There has been no indication when offices will even think of opening.  My company got over 9000 employees to connect remotely and everything is running very smoothly.

We booked our Alaska cruise for July 2021 hopefully there will be a vaccine by early next year.

There is Progress the Starbucks on the corner has opened up - Take Out Only ! 

Edited by oscar

Regarding anyone who has purchased Broadway tickets up until Labor day( September 6).  if you have already purchased tickets your credit card will be automatically refunded. 

For Hamilton Fans there will a film version of Hamilton with the original stage cast broadcast on July 3, 2020 on the new Disney+ Channel.   

Here is the link

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/culture/story/lin-manuel-miranda-bob-iger-announce-hamilton-coming-70627572https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/culture/story/lin-manuel-miranda-bob-iger-announce-hamilton-coming-70627572

Edited by oscar

2 hours ago, oscar said:

Workers on visa's who are unemployed through Covid-19 are in for a tough time if the don't find employment soon.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/immigrants-visas-suddenly-jobless-must-122148862.html

The actual news article headline is of course misleading because Technically  they aren’t “immigrants” if they came in on work, not immigrant, visas (you didn’t repeat that error).  And the rules are the usual ones, but I guess very stark now because so many have lost jobs at the same time and can’t find new ones. I wouldn't be optimistic about an extension to the grace period being offered ...