Sign in to follow this  
oscar

Covid -19 Virus

Our offices thorough the USA will remain closed for the rest of 2020 due to Covid -19 Indications are that we will only open up once there is a vaccine available.

We have been working remotely from a Cottage in New Harbor, Maine for the past few months. The Cottage is in Cove with really nice views. As the office is closed we have extended our stay until November. 

A new prediction on Covid-19 Deaths (from the same source that has been fairly accurate so far on CNN) Predicts that Covid-19  deaths  will reach 3000 people a day by December. 

I certainly wont be going to the movies.

Take Extra Care everyone!  

Edited by oscar

On 8/28/2020 at 8:08 AM, oscar said:

Good News! According to the US post office South Africa is open to receive mail from the USA.

Here is the link to yesterdays update: https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/welcome.htm?_gl=1*1ouznjt*_gcl_dc*R0NMLjE1OTg2MTYyNTYuNDM3ZWQ1ZGM2YzEyMWFkN2YyOWQ4YTk0OWVhNGNjNGQ.

On 9/26/2020 at 8:31 AM, oscar said:

Good News! According to the US post office South Africa is open to receive mail from the USA.

Here is the link to yesterdays update: https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/welcome.htm?_gl=1*1ouznjt*_gcl_dc*R0NMLjE1OTg2MTYyNTYuNDM3ZWQ1ZGM2YzEyMWFkN2YyOWQ4YTk0OWVhNGNjNGQ.

Can you imagine the backlog..  Has anyone got post delivered successfully to SA yet.

I sent a small envelope of Birthday, Halloween and Christmas cards last week for $68.00. I kept on getting updates while the package was in the USA.  The last message  received was departed JFK and since then there has been no further updates.

Here is a update on the small envelope sent to Cape Town. on October 2. Package  Arrived in Johannesburg yesterday 10/14 and it arrived in Cape Town this afternoon.  10/15

Tracking info

Mailed in NYC October 2

Departed JFK  October 5

Arrived in JHB October  14

Arrived in CTN October 15

it will be interesting how many days it sits in Customs and local post office.

The US Post office gave misleading information as the promise was a 3-4 day delivery through a shared delivery system with Fed Ex - They  charge $68.00 for a package  with a max weight of 4 lbs

• Like 1

The Package is making great progress: 

October 16, 2020, 11:20 am
Processed Through Facility
SOUTH AFRICA
Your item was processed through a facility in SOUTH AFRICA on October 16, 2020 at 11:20 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Held in Customs
JIMC E EMS, SOUTH AFRICA

Customs Clearance
SOUTH AFRICA

Processed through customs in a minute.😀 That's amazing... Still awaiting to see if they deliver it or if it has to be picked up at a post office.  

• Like 1

I’m sure having tracking on it helps as “insurance” too if you know what I mean. 

Sending a birthday card today, interested to see when it will arrive. We have learnt not to send those fancy Papyrus type cards with stuff on the front anymore as they never reach the recipient ..I guess it looks too much like there is something included in the envelope. Normal flat cards seem to get there, albeit quite late sometimes.

23 hours ago, oscar said:

Departed JFK  October 5

Arrived in JHB October  14

I find this puzzling. This was airmail obviously... what was this package doing flying around in the air for 9 days 😆
(I guess there is some kind of central facility at a transit point but even so ...? )

Edited by SJ272

When sending a couple of cards in a larger envelope, I suggest not gluing the envelopes closed, just fold them inwards. Just in case those little fingers go through your package expecting to find money or a gift card. When they find no money its more than likely to get through. If its glued close they think there is something of value inside.  

Regarding the Departed JFK and Arrived in JHB 14 -  US Post office appears to use Emirates airlines a lot, so the mail could be floating around Dubai for a few days.  

New on the small envelope  I sent  on October 2. Well it has arrived at a postal Facility in Cape Town  today at local time 2:06:pm

So far it has taken 22 Days to get where it is. My family are calling two post offices to try track down which post office has it.

October 23, 2020, 2:06 pm
Arrival at Post Office
SOUTH AFRICA
Your item has arrived at the delivering post office in SOUTH AFRICA at 2:06 pm on October 23, 2020.

October 23, 2020, 11:12 am
Processed through Facility
CAPETOWN A AIRPRIORITY MAIL LETT, SOUTH AFRICA

October 23, 2020, 10:53 am
CAPETOWN A AIRPRIORITY MAIL LETT, SOUTH AFRICA

October 23, 2020, 10:53 am
SOUTH AFRICA

October 16, 2020, 1:58 pm
JIMC E EMS, SOUTH AFRICA

SOUTH AFRICA

Customs Clearance
SOUTH AFRICA

Held in Customs
JIMC E EMS, SOUTH AFRICA

October 14, 2020, 7:23 pm
Departed
JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA

October 5, 2020, 11:30 pm
Departed
NEW YORK, UNITED STATES

October 4, 2020, 11:43 am
Arrived
NEW YORK, UNITED STATES

October 3, 2020, 1:11 pm
Processed Through Regional Facility
JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

October 3, 2020, 1:10 pm
Arrived at Regional Facility

October 3, 2020, 6:45 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

Finally Delivered 😀 The small envelope of cards was delivered to my family's residence by the post office this morning at 12:30 . They had to pay a  charge of ZAR 58.00 charge for parcels from overseas. - Standard charge

it took 25 Days to arrive, but at least they have it.📭 The package had been opened and sealed in two different places during its journey. I assume Johannesburg and Cape Town. Nothing missing:ph34r:

Edited by oscar
  • Like 2

Just a  update on a possible return to work date : All our offices in USA  have set a tentative return date of April 5, 2021. So its another five months of working from home. 

Edited by oscar

My husband’s company (global name brand) has said effectively there will need to be vaccine access to the general population (not just the initial expected to first responders etc) before they are back at head office.