Sign in to follow this  
oscar

South African Airways ? is this the end of the Airline

Years overdue. It’s been a taxpayer funded /bailed out vanity political project for far too long, especially in a country with so many other pressing needs.

(to be fair, the Zuma administration had a big hand in that by forcing it to fly routes that were determined for political rather than profit reasons. But the problem went deeper.)

Edited by SJ272

Anyone who has Voyager miles may not have thought of it - but they will be useless.  I spent mine down some years ago, and although I have travelled SAA since, I have always used my United loyalty number - and earned United miles on SAA - at the time the thinking was just that it would be easier to use those - and now I am very glad I did.

The last time I flew SAA internationally, with reluctance, I had my baggage broken into at OR Tambo - I know this is ACSA’s fault not SAA, but the reporting Is done via the airline. I was particularly upset as not only had the zippers on a new luggage set been cut off, but a gift for my then little kid had been stolen out of it, among other things (they even stole some chocolate). When the guy at SAA handed me an obviously many timed faded photocopied form to fill out for baggage replacement, noticing how upset I was, do you know what he did? He laughed at me. What do you expect for not wrapping your bags, he said? (I had come from jfk, I didn’t even see anywhere to wrap bags.)

The last time I flew SAA internally was a business trip. They overbooked us, and curtly informed us there was no more space and we’d been bumped to the next flight. No apology, nothing. When my colleague asked if there was any compensation, the woman gave a surly point at the customer service counter and told us we could go queue up to get a voucher for another flight. There were probably at least 75 people in the line.  We didn’t waste our time queuing up, and when we got back to the office told our PA to never book us on SAA again.

They dug their own grave, right from the crooks at the top to the attitude of the people on the ground. When I see something like the article above about how they were “one of our biggest advertisers” and “always came to our parties”, all I think of is more waste of taxpayer money. Ugh. 

Edited by SJ272

Their Bankruptcy also has a lot to do with the ANC forcing  SAA to fly routes into Africa that were not profitable.

2 hours ago, oscar said:

Their Bankruptcy also has a lot to do with the ANC forcing  SAA to fly routes into Africa that were not profitable.

Absolutely (I thought I said that earlier) but the rot spread far, wide and deep in that organization.

apparently Pravin is still trying to argue that it is a political imperative to keep it going, but Tito has the purse strings now. 

SAA to receive restructuring assistance from the Government..😀

JOHANNESBURG, June 1 (Reuters) - The South African government has agreed to fund a restructuring of South African Airways (SAA), if a business rescue plan for the struggling state-owned airline is adopted, a copy of the draft plan showed on Monday.

SAA entered business rescue - a local form of bankruptcy protection - in December, after which administrators took over the running of the airline and have been working on a plan to save the business.

The draft plan said the government had agreed to make a working capital injection, which the administrators estimated at not less than 2 billion rand ($114.86 million), fund employee layoffs, which could cost up to 2 billion rand, and make an allocation of at least 600 million rand towards the repayment of general concurrent creditors.

A spokeswoman for the administrators confirmed the draft plan was genuine.

Edited by oscar

SAA  to sell off nine of its older Airbus four engine aircraft for newer models that are more efficient and run on two engines. 

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t-s&p=south+african+airways+bankrupcy#id=5&vid=10aec97ddc6c09fd6a5ea6b3763a1211&action=click

South African Airways creditors have approved a restructuring plan today. At least with the rampant pandemic it will give them a few months to develop some new strategies.  I hope this works for SAA!   

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/south-african-airways-creditors-approve-restructuring-plan-2020-07-14