Sign in to follow this  
oscar

Trump to Suspend Immigration during Covid-19

Trump plans on issuing a executive order halting immigration sometime this week due to the Covid-19 outbreak. full details to follow. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/coronavirus-government-response-updates-trump-halt-immigration-us/story?id=70262423

Edited by oscar

Trying to distract his base from his disastrous handling of the pandemic... 

• Like 1

Sounds like the only change planned is that they will not be issuing any Green Cards for the next 60 Days.

The results of the Diversity 2021 results will be out on May 5, 2020

https://www.mwakilishi.com/article/immigration-news/2020-02-03/results-of-dv-2021-green-card-lottery-to-be-available-starting-may-5th-2020

1 hour ago, oscar said:

Sounds like the only change planned is that they will not be issuing any Green Cards for the next 60 Days.

Yes, which puts two lots of people in jeopardy:
- Those who have already been issued their immigrant visa, but who have not yet landed in the USA and become residents.  They have a visa that may expire, or medical exam that may expire before they can get a flight to the USA with things as they are if they are not to be admitted on immigrant visas.  Worse case scenario, they have to start again to apply for their visa when all this is over - whenever that may be - 60 days could be extended.
- Those drawn in DV2020, and are 'in the queue' for an immigrant visa to be issued, but whose appointments may be postponed indefinitely, while the clock is ticking....they only have until 30 September 2020 to be issued the visa, or their immigration chance falls away entirely.

Many of these folks may be in limbo - already having sold their homes etc in South Africa.

• Like 1

There is a provision in US immigration law that if a visa holder cannot use their immigrant visa for reasons beyond their control before expiry, it can be re-issued subject to new medical being done and the visa fee being paid again. (The fee doesn’t have to be paid again if not being able to use it is due to something the US government did..which could probably be argued if the exec order says what we think it will?)

SA is probably luckier than many countries in that the consulate is not very busy as far as immigrant visas are concerned, and if they need to accommodate an “uptick” of DV visas before the end of the fiscal year, they can probably do it fairly easily.   There were only 162 selectees for SA for DV2020, including derivatives, and we know a number don’t proceed with selection ...so maybe 10 cases a month on average? I’d be pretty sure the consulate can accommodate a backlog in DV before the end of the FY.

Agree, it should be fine for the DV2020 selectees - provided the 60 days doesn't go to 90 days....120 days etc. - as by law, this is one type of visa that has a firm deadline to be issued - i.e. by 30 September - but there are 5 months still to go.  And, some of those won't be consular processing either, just AOS in the USA.  As you note, there are not 1000's of them - although the 162 selectees are the DV1 selectees, and doesn't include the DV2 derivatives - spouses and minor children.  

^ The 162 is the subset of the total 83884 selected for DV2020, which does include derivatives.  The total has dropped signifcantly from prior years when it was often around 100k, or double the number of total available visas. 

Edited by SJ272

Trump is still working on his 60  Day Travel Ban. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/21/trump-immigration-green-card-coronavirus-198498

One U.S. Department of Homeland Security official who requested anonymity said the order would only apply to people applying for permanent residence from outside the United States, not those already in the country seeking to adjust their status.Trump said the order initially would last for 60 days and could be renewed for the same period or longer, and that a second immigration-focused order was under consideration.

Edited by oscar

5 hours ago, SJ272 said:

^ The 162 is the subset of the total 83884 selected for DV2020, which does include derivatives.  The total has dropped signifcantly from prior years when it was often around 100k, or double the number of total available visas. 

Yes, you are correct.

In the meantime, the executive order has been signed and released.  If you have a VALID immigrant visa, you are ok (DV visa).  If it expires before you can get a flight to the USA, you will no longer have a valid visa, and you won't be issued a new visa in the 60 day timeframe.  If you don't yet have a visa, even if your number is current, you won't be issued a visa in the next 60 days either.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspending-entry-immigrants-present-risk-u-s-labor-market-economic-recovery-following-covid-19-outbreak/?fbclid=IwAR3tEhePb9IeCwWKdAni7mwEahQmnh96aDTFC6aGR9dhyINcGlhhed6iPfM

• Like 1

It’s interesting to note the other immigrant categories in/out. In: spouses and minor children of USCs, employment visas for health workers, EB5 (and one or two others like special immigrants). Which means out, apart from DV, is family of LPRs; and  over 21 unmarried kids/married kids/siblings/parents of US citizens. (And non health or investment related EB visas.)

Hopefully this really does only last 60 days. 

Here is more news on the immigration suspension Ban

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-signs-limited-immigration-suspension-order-claims-it-suspends-all-immigration-us-1499463

The US has lost over 26.5 million jobs over the past five weeks. So the economy is not good. We have lost all the jobs gained since the stock exchange crash in 2008.

Edited by oscar

On 4/23/2020 at 5:29 AM, SJ272 said:

It’s interesting to note the other immigrant categories in/out. In: spouses and minor children of USCs, employment visas for health workers, EB5 (and one or two others like special immigrants). Which means out, apart from DV, is family of LPRs; and  over 21 unmarried kids/married kids/siblings/parents of US citizens. (And non health or investment related EB visas.)

Hopefully this really does only last 60 days. 

I agree with SJ272 - Let hope it stays on 60 days. I waited 13 years for this visa. Had my interview the 12th of March. Saw today, on the status page, that our visas has been printed. Just waiting for my passport to return after lockdown. But now this Exec order is messing with my plans 😥

48 minutes ago, Woekes said:

I agree with SJ272 - Let hope it stays on 60 days. I waited 13 years for this visa. Had my interview the 12th of March. Saw today, on the status page, that our visas has been printed. Just waiting for my passport to return after lockdown. But now this Exec order is messing with my plans 😥

[at]Woekes - Do you know the date your visas were printed? If it is 23 April or earlier you can go when you get the passports back/flights resume.

from the EO, 

Sec. 2.  Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.  (a)  The suspension and limitation on entry pursuant to section 1 of this proclamation shall apply only to aliens who:

(i)    are outside the United States on the effective date of this proclamation;

(ii)   do not have an immigrant visa that is valid on the effective date of this proclamation; and....

Sec. 5.  Effective Date.  This proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on April 23, 2020.

Edited by SJ272

For DV lottery, all numbers are current, so hopefully they can go ahead and schedule whoever’s left when the embassy reopens/EO is lifted.

This whole move has Stephen Miller written all over it. Nothing is too petty or pointless for that odious xenophobe when it comes to immigration.