Sign in to follow this  
oscar

Trump to Suspend Immigration during Covid-19

28 minutes ago, JumpingJasonFlash said:

This whole move has Stephen Miller written all over it. Nothing is too petty or pointless for that odious xenophobe when it comes to immigration.

Yup - see article in Washington  Post today. https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/stephen-miller-audio-immigration-coronavirus/2020/04/24/8eaf59ba-8631-11ea-9728-c74380d9d410_story.html

6 hours ago, SJ272 said:

Well... there you have it! Can’t say it pleases me to be right about this though.

20 hours ago, JumpingJasonFlash said:

This whole move has Stephen Miller written all over it. Nothing is too petty or pointless for that odious xenophobe when it comes to immigration.

Well, I think it is a brilliant and appropriate move by a patriotic public servant - whoever came up with the idea. Go ahead and show your intolerance for people with different views by insulting me in the way that cry-babies Trump-haters usually do.

really superkruz, that’s not even worth a response - politicians (of all stripes) are all ripe for public criticism, but ad hominem attacks from you on other posters because of the way you think they”ll respond?  

22 hours ago, Superkruz said:

Well, I think it is a brilliant and appropriate move by a patriotic public servant - whoever came up with the idea. Go ahead and show your intolerance for people with different views by insulting me in the way that cry-babies Trump-haters usually do.

I’m not intolerant of people with different views. I am intolerant of people who are intolerant of people who are different.

I don’t like Trump or his policies. You clearly do. That’s perfectly fine. We can talk like adults all day long about the appropriate course of action surrounding the immigration process during Covid-19 lockdowns, shutdowns, slowdowns, and social isolation.

Stephen Miller, however, the subject at hand, is a racist xenophobe who hates immigrants. This is a fact. Not an opinion. It goes way beyond this latest Executive Order. Every action suggested or taken by this odious man is openly filtered through his well documented deep set prejudices, intolerance of immigrants, and other races. Most notably the Hispanic population, which he has openly and publicly vilified since his junior year at Santa Monica High School. If you want to defend his personal and public intolerances as being ‘patriotic’ or agree with his well documented prejudices, you are more than welcome to do so.

If this makes me a “cry-baby Trump-hater” then bar is set so low, I’m not entirely sure who is capable of stooping low enough to pass that particular litmus test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Edited by oscar

Edited by oscar

Current unemployment figures since March is now over 30 Million. Hopefully the economy bounces back in the next few months. I see British Airways is laying off 12,000 staff.   

Edited by oscar

On 4/24/2020 at 4:40 PM, SJ272 said:

[at]Woekes - Do you know the date your visas were printed? If it is 23 April or earlier you can go when you get the passports back/flights resume.

from the EO, 

Sec. 2.  Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.  (a)  The suspension and limitation on entry pursuant to section 1 of this proclamation shall apply only to aliens who:

(i)    are outside the United States on the effective date of this proclamation;

(ii)   do not have an immigrant visa that is valid on the effective date of this proclamation; and....

Sec. 5.  Effective Date.  This proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on April 23, 2020.

Hi SJ272

Thanks for all the advice and help

We have not yet received our passports back due to lockdown. According to the website, that was updated on April 23rd, our visas was issued and printed. At the time of the signing it was the 24th here in South Africa. The problem is that we are outside the US at the time of the proclamation. So if I understand the webpage correctly we are still stuck.

Regards

I was watching a post on youtube on immigration, it appears trump has pulled the plug on Green Card applicants who now want to get  Naturalized. Well right now they have stopped all the background checks and UCIS interviews and citizenship ceremonies. They have delayed the 2021 lottery results by a month to June.

There was talk of trump wanting to get some new bill approved for financing but wants to include a new bill on immigration included in it.. As  this is an Election year expect all sorts of crazy things to happen. Lets hope he does not stop the lottery completely. Trump is dead scared of loosing the election ,so he is trying his best to appeal to the Right wing for votes.  

The web page of the Diversity Visa Lottery web site has been changed to the Diversity visa program  https://dvprogram.state.gov/

Appears they will be selecting applicants with a minimum of a Bachelors Degree, preferably married and also have family or a relative already in the USA.  if you only have High School Diploma your chances of being selected will be very slim.

3 hours ago, Woekes said:

Hi SJ272

Thanks for all the advice and help

We have not yet received our passports back due to lockdown. According to the website, that was updated on April 23rd, our visas was issued and printed. At the time of the signing it was the 24th here in South Africa. The problem is that we are outside the US at the time of the proclamation. So if I understand the webpage correctly we are still stuck.

Regards

If it’s dated by 23 April you are fine, it’s only if you are outside the US AND don’t have visas effective by that date. So looks like touch and go for you depending on visa date. Holding thumbs it worked out. 

Edited by SJ272

2 hours ago, oscar said:

I was watching a post on youtube on immigration, it appears trump has pulled the plug on Green Card applicants who now want to get  Naturalized. Well right now they have stopped all the background checks and UCIS interviews and citizenship ceremonies.

What is the source of this information? The interviews and ceremonies are stopped due to no in person USCIS events/appointments taking place till June 4. I don’t think it’s true background checks etc have stopped as on another website people are reporting progress reports still being updated on their N400 applications in the past few weeks. There were also reports of offices like I think Pittsburg contacting those who’ve passed interview and waiting for ceremony/had ceremony rescheduled,  to let USCIS know if they would be able to make ceremonies at short notice once they restarted so it sounds like they’re actually trying to catch up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oscar said:

The web page of the Diversity Visa Lottery web site has been changed to the Diversity visa program  https://dvprogram.state.gov/

Appears they will be selecting applicants with a minimum of a Bachelors Degree, preferably married and also have family or a relative already in the USA.  if you only have High School Diploma your chances of being selected will be very slim.

That information is not on the page, where did you see that?