Sign in to follow this  
oscar

Trump to Suspend Immigration during Covid-19

5 hours ago, SJ272 said:

What is the source of this information? The interviews and ceremonies are stopped due to no in person USCIS events/appointments taking place till June 4. I don’t think it’s true background checks etc have stopped as on another website people are reporting progress reports still being updated on their N400 applications in the past few weeks. There were also reports of offices like I think Pittsburg contacting those who’ve passed interview and waiting for ceremony/had ceremony rescheduled,  to let USCIS know if they would be able to make ceremonies at short notice once they restarted so it sounds like they’re actually trying to catch up. 

FYI this was the post I referred to above, from Saturday. Someone else reported having interviewed in Feb, had no status change till this week when got notified that the case was approved on Monday. So they definitely seem to be going ahead with stuff.

2 members in my n-400 Facebook group reported that they received an email from USCIS Pittsburgh saying that they are planning on holding oath ceremonies again soon and they are reaching out to people who are willing to attend oath ceremonies in “short notices” (a few days in advance only). The email asked the applicants to respond to it if they are willing to do so. No fixed dates are set yet. Both of them live in Pittsburgh. 

Separately, apparently the Dems are trying to push for remote ceremonies. No idea how successful that will be, i suspect not very.

1 hour ago, SJ272 said:

FYI this was the post I referred to above, from Saturday. Someone else reported having interviewed in Feb, had no status change till this week when got notified that the case was approved on Monday. So they definitely seem to be going ahead with stuff.

2 members in my n-400 Facebook group reported that they received an email from USCIS Pittsburgh saying that they are planning on holding oath ceremonies again soon and they are reaching out to people who are willing to attend oath ceremonies in “short notices” (a few days in advance only). The email asked the applicants to respond to it if they are willing to do so. No fixed dates are set yet. Both of them live in Pittsburgh. 

Separately, apparently the Dems are trying to push for remote ceremonies. No idea how successful that will be, i suspect not very.

I agree - I doubt they will go for remote ceremonies.  In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if they cancel ceremonies as such altogether.  The legal part of naturalization is actually taking the oath - which you can do in front of a federal judge - the ceremonies have a lot of 'feel good' extras that are not required.

I suspect they will commence with people being able to naturalize without any big group ceremony - or gathering of large groups.  Will maybe restrict those attending to just those who will naturalize, and not guests (in the same way that, for example, the military graduations have taken place at venues such as the Air Force Academy.  No guests - which permitted the cadets to be spaced out).  Disappointing for them, and for the relations and friends, of course, but at least they could get it done - think it may be the same with the naturalizations.

Hi SJ272, I got the information of posts on YouTube and the internet, I had it on a piece of paper  over the weekend  but SAUSA was down for a few days ,so I almost thought it had closed down for good.  I may have it somewhere, but I have been super busy at work with our new  operating platform and product development. 

It sounds like speculation not official tbh. 

They can’t just change the criteria for DV like that, it has to be a random selection of the entrants. They would have to change the eligibility criteria first to do it that way and that involves changing the law as far as I understand.

And obviously lawyers would be all over it if there was any official directive to stop people naturalizing. I think it’s someone misunderstanding (or sensationalizing) the covid office and ASC closures that are holding up interviews, ceremonies and biometric appointments until everything reopens.

Edited by SJ272
  • Like 1

Some Republican Senators urging Trump to halt H1-B and H2  visas and other worker programs for a year.  (No mention about the lottery yet ?

https://qz.com/1853403/republican-senators-want-to-halt-h1-b-immigration-for-60-days/?utm_source=YPL&yptr=yahoo

Edited by oscar

The current unemployment figures released today.  38 million people registered for unemployed in the past 9 weeks.

Seen on another forum they’ve restarted oath ceremonies, what’s interesting is that two of the three I saw are for before official USCIS earliest date of 4 June reopening. 27 May in Austin TX, 3 June in KCMO, unspecified date in Salt Lake City UT. One reported details of notice - no guests, wear face covering, don’t come if you are sick! Certainly encouraging to see the ceremonies have restarted. 

1 hour ago, SJ272 said:

Seen on another forum they’ve restarted oath ceremonies, what’s interesting is that two of the three I saw are for before official USCIS earliest date of 4 June reopening. 27 May in Austin TX, 3 June in KCMO, unspecified date in Salt Lake City UT. One reported details of notice - no guests, wear face covering, don’t come if you are sick! Certainly encouraging to see the ceremonies have restarted. 

Other Texas centers have also been scheduling ceremonies and in fact San Antonio at least has already held some oath ceremonies since last week.