Sign in to follow this  
oscar

New Executive Order on Immigration in next 4 weeks

Trump vowed yesterday to issue a new executive  order on immigration. Appears this will deal with DACA (Dreamers)  -Road to Citizenship - Ted Cruz has already said that Trump does not have  the power to do this. 

Appears he also wants to tinker with some other issues. like the Diversity lottery and certain visa categories.

Trump has largely shut down the issuance of green card visas and new work visas until January 2021 due to Covid -19 pandemic.

The HIB visa program will also be restructured.

As we are a few months away from the election in November, its all about winning votes. Lets see what happens in the next three to four weeks.   

Sounds like a feckless election push, especially considering significant changes like these would require an act of Congress and will almost certainly be challenged and lose in court. As always. Not that Trump, given his incoherent word salad of a statement, seems to even know The difference between a “bill” and an “executive order”... so it’ll be interesting to see how his own party reacts if he issues an order in favor of DACA protections.

Having said that, I would put nothing past the current administration to push way beyond the very limits of a Executive power and do absolutely anything before November, especially given the GOP’s complete and utter lack of interest in anything but federal judge appointments in the Senate. Not to mention fearing for their own political fortunes ahead of Nov, which could very well be a Senate blowout akin to the House blowout in 2018.

• Thanks 1

which could very well be a Senate blowout akin to the House blowout in 2018

We can only hope

. Gee, I wonder if this sudden rush to protect DACA (which used to be terrible, remember) has anything to do with Texas becoming a swing state. 

On 7/12/2020 at 12:19 PM, JumpingJasonFlash said:

Sounds like a feckless election push, especially considering significant changes like these would require an act of Congress and will almost certainly be challenged and lose in court. As always. Not that Trump, given his incoherent word salad of a statement, seems to even know The difference between a “bill” and an “executive order”... so it’ll be interesting to see how his own party reacts if he issues an order in favor of DACA protections.

Having said that, I would put nothing past the current administration to push way beyond the very limits of a Executive power and do absolutely anything before November, especially given the GOP’s complete and utter lack of interest in anything but federal judge appointments in the Senate. Not to mention fearing for their own political fortunes ahead of Nov, which could very well be a Senate blowout akin to the House blowout in 2018.

Mmmm quite a political rant... you’ve said your piece now I’ll say mine.....thank God the Democrats are not in power..

On 7/15/2020 at 1:17 PM, SJ272 said:

. Gee, I wonder if this sudden rush to protect DACA (which used to be terrible, remember) has anything to do with Texas becoming a swing state. 

Texas... and Arizona.

Come November AZ could have two Democrat Senators to go along with the 5 (out of 9) existing House members. McSally has a shocking record on immigration and DACA (not to mention most other policies), which cost her in 2018. Not to mention her “military cred” she has been trying to ride to Washington is all but useless when she’s now facing Mark Kelly a former Navy Captain, NASA astronaut, engineer, and husband of Gabby Giffords. Yikes!

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 4:17 PM, SJ272 said:

DACA is still a temporary stop gap measure for poor younger Illegals here. They still have no status in the USA and no path to Citizenship because Obama couldn’t get the dreamers act passed in Congress...  another Democratic hot mess..