LaurenB

SA vs US curriculum *online*

Hi there - new to the club.. in the preliminary stages of emigrating still but wanted to know if anyone could advise which curriculum would be best as an "online learning solution" for my two ( Grade 6 and Grade 9) - I believe the GED is no longer accepted. Would the British / Cambridge curriculum be a better option ? 

Are you looking to emigrate to the US, or just to emigrate in general? The statement that the GED is no longer accepted is not exactly true - it’s very widely accepted including by the Ivy League, though normally the people using them have not had a traditional education path, and the high school requirements for top colleges generally go well beyond the minimum required to complete high school which is usually what a GED is (the system is very different to SA... if you need a quick explainer, from someone whose kid did primary in SA and high school and now college in the US, let me know...)

If you are still based in SA my first recommendation, if it is affordable, would be to send the children to a bricks and mortar international school there, whether American, British or IB,  rather than online schools which vary widely both in quality and focus. If you do go online though, then the British curriculum is a good idea, as it is obviously understood in the UK but also well regarded in the US (as is IB), and in fact many colleges will give students college credit or higher subject placement for good performance in some A level subjects. 

Great ! thank you for this explanation! Sorry, I did not stipulate the intention to move to the US :) yes, this is the deal and I appreciate your insight on this ... My one child is in a home-tutoring environment and my second is still in normal government school ... You have addressed my questions perfectly ! thank you !