Sign in to follow this  
Tokolosi

How do you cope?

Ou buffelsbaai het cool waves franna.... ek het eenkeer in baie moeilikheid gekom oordat ek vir 'n ouer swart oom gese het dat ek ook "african American" was... magies was hy knorig..lol....

Christian

Hi,

I would just like to find out if everyone has felt that there move has been worth it. I was in Sacramento for a couple of months and found it to be quiet an experience. and will probably be returning to the U.S. shortly. For those who have been in the U.S. longer, was it worth it? and how long does it take to adapt?

Nov 2001, it was a Tuesday when I wrote my last Matric Paper, and that very next day, Wednesday, my mom and I boarded the plane to join my Dad, brother and sister who have been in Indianapolis since September that year. It took me 3 years to adjust, went through the initial depression (for about a year), then I decided to go back, litterally a month before I left I met my now husband and I've never been happier to be here.

My sister (13) gets made fun of alot at school, she would take her own lunch (Bovril samies) and the girls would say "Oh gross ! You're nasty for eating that" She's been handling it well though, especially after I told her to just laugh it off and tell them they're lucky she doesn't bring Mopani's for lunch.

I really admire your attitude, I know i'm facing hell when my eldest steps off that plane tomorrow lunchtime. He does NOT want to be here, and is only coming back to settle his car payments etc.

I wish there was someone who could change his outlook on staying but after 2 months in SA, he's more determind than ever to go home for good :(

Dee

I'm so sorry this is the case that your son wants to go back. Maybe we must introduce him to Charlene. She is back at the moment, but yes, after a week - glad to see me - I'm afraid - back in the old routine - without friends - not so sure that is what she want. She will stay till end of the year, but I am SO afraid that things aren't going to work out and she will go back again.

All I can say is I will pray for you and him - and as I said previously

"If God brings you to it, He will brings you through it".

Aww marizka im sorry about your sisters school experience, I have Alot of nieces and nepews from husband side. And I can have volunteered one day at my one niece's school for a field trip as her mom couldn't make it last minute. I do believe american kids are meaner in school than in SA.

My friends are from Hungary, when they arrived here they didnt have anything. they could barely afford clothes for the kids and bought it at walmart, my hart het in my maag gesak... the kids at school would be so mean to them because of their clothes and called them names and rub it in their faces that they didnt have money.

AND DEE: tell your son to wait till the sa get togther next year, he might meet a nice SA girl.... :) maybe someone like tomasmik's daughter?