Sign in to follow this  
Creature

Teacher: Greetings

Hi everyone,

I came accross the forum ... and really like what I see ... other expat forums that I have lurked on left me disappointed due to the griping, racism, nastiness, trashing ensovoorts. This one seems well run ... and the postings are mostly good positive stuff.

My story ... I left SA (East London) in 97 and worked in England ... for about a year and a half ... then joined a non-governmental organization to work on a hospital ship in West Africa ... on the ship I met my wife, an American citizen. We married in 2000 and moved via Texas to New Jersey and now live in Easton, PA.

Settling in has had its ups and downs. Worked many long hours in the software industry, under crazy stress and pressure ... and left about 2 years ago to become a schoolteacher ... and work has been less than steady as I restart in a new country with a new career. Have to take it year by year. But I like the change ... and the schedule.

I have a wonderful family ... little 1 year old boy ... and while he does not have much connection to the SA side of his family ... he has American grandparents / cousins / an uncle ... some who live nearby. So ... like many of you ... my story has been a mixed bag of struggle to make this thing work ... and appreciation for the freedoms, the safety and to live in a stable, organized society where the systems are mostly reliable.

Hope to meet many of you ... and especially find some South Africans nearby.

Regards.

Welcome to SAUSA Teacher! I have been following your posts elsewhere about teaching and the education process in the USA with interest.

Glad you like the format of the forum, we certainly need more people like yourself who is prepared to "pay it forward". ;)

Do pop in regularly and contribute where you can. Many folks still in South Africa are dying to find out what life is like in the US of A!

Enjoy!

Yes... Hallo or Hello Teacher and welcome to SAUSA

I would love to hear a teacher's viewpoint of the American schooling system.

Poppelooi

Welkom Teacher.

Thanks for all the kind words of welcome ... really enjoying this - positive - forum ... thanks!!!

Hello and Welcome!!! :)

:huh:

It has really been a very long time since I said

HELLO TEACHER

Welcome and I see that you have made yourself at home and are posting away.

Great to have you here.

Welcome,

I live in Center City Philadelphia, so if you ever make it down this way, let me know. I have been here for about 7 years.

Teacher = Creature?

Clark Kent = Superman ;)

LMGA. Netjies Janneman.