Sign in to follow this  
Sheik

Purchase property in SA ?

We are VERY seriously considering buying a house in Merloth Park (Kruger Park) in Sa.

The prices are very affordable, have a daughter there (in PTA) that can manage it...

Are we stupid??

www.sarealty.co.za

Ou Sheik jong, my ma het altyd gesê, "Vêr van jou goed, naby jou skade."

Dink net mooi daaroor. As jou dogter daar is, is dit seker beter, maar kyk die kat net mooi uit die boom uit. :unsure:

I have read in various SA newspapers that the SA government are looking for ways to stop foreigners and expats from buying property since this drives up the cost of real estate for the locals, and creates owned property that is not being used. Something else to consider.

Thought about that also. It mainly applies to large areas of land, farms and the like.

However, I was thinking of putting it in my daughters' name. That will elliminate such issues.

Be carefull. There is a income tax law wereby you will be taxed on second properties, per couple. The so called capital gain tax.

Sheik,

I've been to Marloth park - their security system is great - lions and leopards. If you can get a house at a good price, Marloth is great. Itis close to Nelspruit and other great places. Let me know if you want more info. It is one of the few places where a person can still live in relative safety.

We have a short list of a few we are looking at very seriously. One we actually picked, just got sold.

Great places to buy for little money.

Guest Guest

My uncle has a place in Marloth Park.Loves it.

On the other hand - The writer, Pieter Pieterse, was murdered there a couple years ago.In his back yard if I remember correctly.

Yes, he was - as mentioned, it is relatively safe. I mean, lions aren't exactly 100% reliable.

Wel...my wife was there in July, and is all gung-ho about it.

We have the cash ready, al she needs to do is decide which one it is.

Good luck man - hopefully you can sit there and drink a dop and braai 'n tjop soon!

Let us know how it turns out.

You can go visit, and use my house in Marloth...

Hell, thanks man - how did the deal go? Decide to get the pad then? If you have photo's, I'd love to see them.

Lucky dog!

Kim is still working with a realtor...but she is zooming in on one.

Twice now she decided on one, only to find out that they had just been sold..

The current one is still available. We will probably make an offer this week or next.

Not much in the line of pics yet...supposed to get a bunch by tonight. The guy went there yesterday to take them..

Check this out so far:

http://www.privateproperty.co.za/search/de...d=42&listtype=1

Edited by Sheik

Hel man, I'm just damn jaloers now! ;)

Good luck on that deal. I hope y'all get it. Sounds like Kim has her heart set on a place there? It really is a beutiful place. Lots of animals and great scenery. I love the swimming pool area - hehehehe HAVE to build a lapa sometime.

Just heard..

The servant quarters is 60m from the main house..

The Lapa is enclosed (?!?!??!) I allways thought it would be like my tikihut..but anyway..

The lapa has a bar and a kitchen. VERY small kitchen in the house.

This is what I am thinking...remove the kitchen in the house, transform the lapa into a fully stocked gourmet kitchen. The lapa is 4 meters from the house...build a room between the house and the lapa, brick on back of the room, glass french doors in the front, facing the pool. Hence connecting everything and enlarging the house.

Also has a Boma..with brick table, fire pit, etc.. braai area.

The floor in the house is plain concrete..damn. So I will have to lay tiles.

No garage. WIll have to build...carports only at the moment.

And the servants quarters...expant and build a large workshop...You know me...I NEED my workshop.

What you think?

The place is cool...but does need some work.

Right now, the house is about 200 sq meters (2178 sw ft..smallish). By the time I am done, it will be a little bigger.

Send me your email, I will send the pics.

Edited by Sheik