Sign in to follow this  
Cazz

Cape Town getting bad????

Since my leaving Cape Town back in 1997, my Mom has said "Oh things aren't bad like you hear it. It's all up in Jo'burg. I really don't think Cape Town will get like that".

Well, yesterday I gave her a quick call as I couldn't reach her over the weekend and her story had changed......"Hijacking has increased in Cape Town and when I look after your brother's kids I check on them constantly while they sleep. I'm so affraid someone breaks in and does something bad to them......." and so the story went on.

I was planning on making my first trip back to CT the end of this year, but that's been postponed till next year and now I'm wondering if I should even risk going or taking my children over.

My family and friends have gone through a lot the last year or so......deaths, illness etc. All this made me really homesick. I do want to see the people I miss so much, but now I'm kind of nervous? Do I go over or not?

What have you old Capies heard from your family and friends? Are things in Cape Town getting worst?

I also have a relative and some friends in CT. I think that crime similar to that experienced in JHB is seeping into the CT area as well. There has been an increase in hijackings. It is still "safer" than Gauteng. Having said that, I believe that if you feel the need to go back and see your family then you should.

People (millions of them) live there every day and go about their business and have no bad experience with crime, so there is no reason to think that anything will happen to you. I was also anxious about going back, and honestly I never felt really safe the whole time I was there. By that I mean as safe and comfortable as I do here at home. I was anxious all the time, avoided places and things that I may have otherwise wanted to do, and we did not hire a car. We relied on family and friends and also taxi transportation through our hotels. There were some places I felt more uncomfortable than others, e.g. Pilgrims Rest and parts of that area, Rosebank Flea Market. I was aware that things could happen in front of other people and no-one would help me.

I am willing to concede that part of my anxiety came from my own paranoia about how bad things are there and my perspective may or may not have been accurate in all cases. I was also comparing things with my very safe US neighbourhood. Shortly before I decided to visit SA I read a quote that said "courage is not the absence of fear. It is doing something that is more important to you than the fear". For some reason that struck a cord with me and my reluctance to go back to SA.

Going back for that visit was in many ways the best thing I could have done, so I recommend it to anyone who has ambivalence about going back in order to see relatives and/or close that chapter of your life. Seven years (you say you left in 1997) is a long time. I always believed that when you say goodbye at the airport on your last day in SA you think you have some idea of what it means but really you have no idea what that goodbye means until time has passed. For a lot of people, no matter how you adapt or are happy in your new country I think you always have some "unfinished business" and going back can take care of that for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I would definitely go back to see family and friends if I got the chance. I agree with Skattie that lots of people live their every day. One just need to be very careful where you go and what you do.

Cazz ...

I was browsing SaReunited and I could have sworn that I saw a pic of you listed under my old school. Are you Carol Nunes (or something to that tune)?! I knew about you from other SA websites - and if it is you ... I never put 2 and 2 together. Not that we'd know each other - you were there a couple of yrs ahead me ... just thought that its a nice thing to have in common, coming from the same town and living in the States.

Since my leaving Cape Town back in 1997, my Mom has said "Oh things aren't bad like you hear it. It's all up in Jo'burg. I really don't think Cape Town will get like that".

Well, yesterday I gave her a quick call as I couldn't reach her over the weekend and her story had changed......"Hijacking has increased in Cape Town and when I look after your brother's kids I check on them constantly while they sleep. I'm so affraid someone breaks in and does something bad to them......." and so the story went on.

I was planning on making my first trip back to CT the end of this year, but that's been postponed till next year and now I'm wondering if I should even risk going or taking my children over.

My family and friends have gone through a lot the last year or so......deaths, illness etc. All this made me really homesick. I do want to see the people I miss so much, but now I'm kind of nervous? Do I go over or not?

What have you old Capies heard from your family and friends? Are things in Cape Town getting worst?

Cazz!!!

Long time no see! How are you doing?

I don't really know what to tell you. I'm going over in February/March of next year - going in at CT. If this is before your trip, I will give you a full pre-flight briefing.

I've heard similar stories from Cape Town. In fact it was getting bad when I left there in 2000, BUT...this was only in areas like Milnerton, Rugby and of course MP. As long as you hang out in bellville, Durbanville and some of the Northern suburbs, you should be fine. The general rule of thumb is - if you are in the mountains' shadow, you are in the wrong place. Just stay out of Rugby, Milnerton, Downtown and Mooirivier after dark and you will be fine.

I think it would be good for you to see your family again. I'm lucky in the fact that I have my parents here, but I still have tons of very close family and friends in SA. It hurts tremendously that I couldn't be at "my best friend's wedding" shees that sounds corny now. He's already had a bloody brat in the meantime too!

All I can say is that if the fear for your children's safety becomes too much, you can go one of two ways...You can go on your own, or Take your children, but make sure that you don't go anyplce remotely dangerous.

sorry dear, that is pretty much all the advice I have on CT. Take your kids to Ratunga junction - they'll love it. When do you plan on going?

Good luck

Maarten

p.s. We should have a get together again sometime soon. My wife is back in town - so I need some stress releif! hahaha

Let me know if anyone has any ideas. I thought up the last one and I'm still being blamed for the rain...shees! :censored:

Rantanga Junction went bankrupt. Everything is still there but they are closed. I believe they plan to break it down and build houses/offices. I felt fairly safe (well as safe as you can feel in SA) in the KuilsRiver/Bellville and Durbanville area where most of our family are.

Edited by Leigh-

WEll i have been away from capetown for one year now so all i can talk of is up to last year may.... things are the same as in joburg and any other place in SA crime wise i think.... the big problem as a local capie is that the gangs that used to be stuck in manneburg and the capflats are now starting to take over the old so called nice suburbs in the southern Munisipality erea.....

I think you should still go visit but like allways just be wary and look after youself.... Im heading over next year and will spend a big part of my visit in capetwon as all my friends are there.... i cant wait to go home again

christian

Leigh............ yes. Wow!!! Someone from my old home town... this is soooo great. What year did you leave high school? I knew a few people from the 'younger' classes. The laugh a minute is that I was crowned First Princess in 1986..........big hair, and pink Gadsby dress and all........ahhhh the 80's.......I miss those days. I hear the old town has changed a lot - huge hospital etc.

Ratanga closed? Geez.....so now it's a big white elephant! How sad. Only a matter of time before it becomes the next "Mandela Park".

Maarten, my Mom and boet still live in the town I grew up in - between Bellville and Stellenbosch.....so according to you they are in the "safe" area....but the rest of the family, some friends and all the in-laws are in Table View, Milnerton, Welgelegen. Panorama areas.....means they're in the "shitty" part.... :lol:

This is so funny to hear. Back in the days if you came from anywhere besides the "Burbs" or Milnerton/Tableview and surrounds you were considered as from the platteland almost....Heck even hubby use to call me a small town girl and he was from Welgelegen!!!!

Sheik, hi my old friend. How are you and the missus doing? We've been so wound up in life that it's actually sad that we don't get out to see people as much. Time for another party or something. I'm trying to get airfare rates for Pauline. She wants to come to ATL in early September. Works out great for me as I have to fly to PA on the 8th so she can look after the kids while hubby is at work.

CJ - I'll probably end up going, but I don't think I'll be taking the kids with me. I'll just hang around in the old town and insist that anyone beyond Durbanville area make the trip to me.......... :lol:

Cazz, Ok I was more than a couple of yrs behind you ;) I only matriculated in 1996. You might know my aunts though Elmarie & Annelise Kearney ("laatlammetjies", my dad is the oldest!) as they are about your age. But I was born just in time to experience some of the big (permed) hair, big hoop earrings, thick belts, Roxette! etc.

As I posted earlier, I still felt rather safe in KuilsRiver. The hospital is very fancy and there are a lot of new developments. The housing developments has passed Alta Du Toit school. A lot of the farms on the Bottelary rd doesnt exist anymore - Brackenfell and KuilsRiver will soon be 1.

Have a safe trip!

OMG!!!!!!!! Annelise was in my year. Can't place Elmarie, but I'm sure if I saw a pic I'd know her off the batt. Is Annelise still in Kuilsrivier? What a small world we live in....

I haven't yet decided on when I'm going......maybe early part of next year so I won't be "tripping" just yet unless it's after a few glasses of wine and it's over my own feet......... :lol:

Hey Leigh.........anytime you pass this way (Atlanta) feel free to come crash at our place.

I only matriculated in 1996

<_ damn i feel old now>

Toks and Hendie...... ja. When I read that a fellow classmate was her Aunt I really felt old! :(

By December of 1996 I had a 4 year old, a 1 year old and I was all packed up for the trek to the USA........ how time flies!

Come on over

hehehe Thanks Sheik - always the proper Host. I'm beginning to feel guilty for always partying at someone else's house - unfortunately I live in an apartment so anything more than 3 people makes it crowded.

How about a potjie - I should have a Falkirk #3 soon.