Sign in to follow this  
Janneman

Would you believe...?

A Seattle woman whose cat was killed by a neighbor's dog was awarded more than $45,000.

The Seattle District Court awarded Paula Roemer $30,000 for the pet's special value and $15,000 for emotional distress plus $480 more for cremation and counseling.

http://www.koin.com/news.asp?ID=2478

Is that $5000 per life or did they establish that the cat had previously used up the other eight?

Very good Tokolosi :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

350kg woman rescued from home

Cape Town emergency personnel had their hands full on Thursday when they were called out to demolish the wall of a Kraaifontein home to get to an obese woman trapped inside.

Metro emergency personnel said the unidentified woman weighed about 350kg.

The obese woman had not left her home for some time and had apparently grown too big for the main doorway.

"We had to demolish the back wall of the house," said a metro official.

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/...1704297,00.html

I think it is a good thing to teach people to take responsibility for their animals. Too many people get their pet and then neglect the animal. Pity it takes these types of measures but sometimes becomes necessary if folk don't want to learn. :angry:

Edited by Daffydil

Oregon middle school decides to ban hugging

BEND, Oregon. - Giving a quick hug is okay at an Oregon middle school, but hanging on longer than that can get a student detention.

A controversy has erupted at Sky View Middle School in Bend, after a 14-year-old girl was disciplined for giving her boyfriend a lingering hug. Officials say Cazz Altomare had ignored earlier warnings about long hugs. A school district spokeswoman says it is not like they are "the hug Nazis."

However, another middle school principal in town says officials are focused on creating an environment focused on learning, and he says learning proper manners is part of that. The girl's mother is furious, telling the local newspaper that she is trying to understand "what's wrong with a hug."

She gave her daughter a long one when she picked her up after detention.

http://www.katu.com/stories/77183.html

Teachers have to make many subjective decisions related to behaviour through the day. I doubt that one student hugging another is a problem in any school, but there comes a point where the hug becomes more than just a hug. It is an issue of what is appropriate in an academic / professional setting. A big part of a teacher's job is teaching kids about what is appropriate in society, and what is not. One cannot assume kids are socially aware (even though many are). When does a friendly hug become an inappropriate public display of affection? No-one can say, but we try teach the kids that this is not how people should behave in public. Of all the subjective judgement calls that teachers have to make - I think we need to cut the educators some slack.

I agree with you, Teacher.

I was just playing devil's advocate with that post ;)

I get it Janneman ;)

I am VERY physical with my sons and have tried to teach my children the same. "Inappropriate" in my book is when people try to look deeper into something when theres nothing there.

I find it ludicrous to read about a girl and boy hugging and being told its inappropriate.

This really rubbed me up the wrong way .... What we're teaching our kids is to reach out and be physical with someone is dirty.... Absolute rubbish!!!!!

This really wound me up !!!

As I said, it is a judgement call on the part of the educator. I disagree with you though because you cannot compare family affection to the school setting. A male and female student hugging in the school hallway is always going to place a teacher/educator in a stiuation where they must now decide if this is OK or not ...

Educators face incredible liabilities when it comes to the safety and well being of the kids on the school property. The school as an organization must err on the side of caution to protect itself from the potential for a sexual harrassment lawsuit or a lawsuit for failure to protect the safety and well-being of a student.

We are certainly not teaching our kids that physical affection is wrong or dirty ... but ... we are trying to protect the well-being of the students ... trying to stay within the state laws imposed on the schools and ... hopefully also teaching girls to be wise around boys ... and teaching boys to be respectful toward girls. ...

Only the kids will know whether there is something truly :wub: with the behaviour or not. However, they should know what the school's conduct code says, and if they break the rules, then they run the risk of getting in trouble ... even if it is just a friendly hug.

This is a good explanation of the school environment in the US. It is very legalistic ... and educators sometimes have to make decisions that seem unfair ... because the state law says so ... and we end up punishing both the innocent and guilty for behaviours - not motives ... boils down to the few that have spoiled it for the rest of us ... but I believe however cumbersome, these laws do benefit the kids.

I hope that makes some kind of sense Dee ...

Edited by Teacher

Teacher, your response was as an educator, you have rules to follow as laid out by the state, and for that i don't hold you accountable. My reasoning goes alot further back than that. Its the legislators, or some :censored: -off parent that took a mightier than thou attitude to something innocent. Do you know what this does ? Its a no no, its forbidden fruit, so the moment school finishes some poor hormonal male or female who has held it together during school ends up in the back of the car and before you know it some one is pregnant AND THEN these same educators allow pregnant girls to come to school. Where is the logic here ??? I'm not one to vent about petty stuff, but this is really not something I wanted to let lie. This is a forum for airing opinions and like I said, as an educator HERE in the states I see your reasoning, it does not mean that I have to agree with it though.

Should we put condoms in the school bathrooms ????

I whole heartedly say yes............... some people here that i've had this discussion with says its encourages sex.

So do we pretend these kids don't do it ???

Educate................. my God most kids here don't know what AIDS is like our kids do......... thats the stuff that matters. Not a Hug........

I have seen "affection" in schools that would make your mind blow. :o Talking mostly middle and high schools and really folks, your kids are there to get an academic education, not sex ed. As for condoms in schools, puleez man, they are there to broaden their braincells not their sexual experiences. Time and place for all that stuff, and if you want your child to have condoms, then provide them in the privacy of your own home.