Sign in to follow this  
shak

Uni Fee

After my eyes bleeding from reading all the posts regarding university.... etc etc

i've got to ask for some help, hopefully from someone who has been through the system first hand...

I am currently scoping a few options regarding university in the U.S

The hope is to achieve a scholarship / bursary for my brother in order that he may be able to study in the U.S from 09.

1. Is anyone able to give a rough estimate on what a year would cost at uni. This being for tuition, accom, food = everything.

From previous posts I read $20 000, but I was hoping that this wasn't a guess-stimate...

I know that there are various and different levels of tuition for in-state / out-state..... but so far I have found that there is a possibility to avoid Foreign Fees if you are sponsored by a U.S company...

2. Is it possible, to study in the U.S and then change visas or do the necessary... in order to stay in the U.S once graduating?

... more questions to follow...

feel free to voice any tips regarding funding for uni etc etc....

thanks

Search for the member Polfyntjie, I believe she has a daughter who is studying over here.

Shak,

From personal experience. $20,000 sounds by current cost of living and tuition fees too low. Of course it depends a lot on the College.

Your second question about changing your status...........................FORGET IT!!!!!!! I have been there and tried it and nearly got deported and then you can forget about it to get back. I had to go back to SA and start the immigration process and thousands of dollars and an immigration lawyer later, plus 10 years I made it back. Never the less it was worth it!!!!!

Mariekie

shak,

The University of Wisconsin estimated costs as follows:

Tuition and Living (9 months) $36,186

Tuition and Living (12 months) $41,186

You have to have a bank note verifying at least $70 000.00 when you apply. USCIS requires international students proof they have the finances for studying in the USA.

More information here: UWM Foreign Student Admissions

Good luck.

Shak,

I found these cost of attendance estimates for a few of the state universities (they're obviously more affordable than the private universities):

University of Virginia

Penn State University

University of Tennessee

Kentucky State University

The estimated annual tuition and fees at the University of Oregon are $6,174 for in-state students and $19,338 for international and out-of-state students. Students who are not citizens are considered international and ineligible for in-state tuition or financial aid and need an appropriate visa to attend. Source: FoxNews.com

Which state are you in? That might help us narrow down a better cost estimate for you.

Shak,

The estimate that the college send us to work on for my daughters studies in White Plains, NY :

18 Month Associate Degree Program Academic Year (3 Quarters) $5 400 per quarter Administrative Fee per quarter $150

Housing - no meal plan [at] $2 200 per quarter.

Textbooks, supplies,field trips and other classroom-related expenses are estimated between $900 and $1 200 per academic year.

Please Note this is only an estimate ........... :unsure: At the end it may be way more.... :whome:

But every cent worth it!!!! :ilikeit:

Yes, as an out-of-state, international student, you are looking at approx $20,000.00 per year just for tuition. You still have to factor in books, and living expenses. You might consider looking for scholarships ... ask the admissions counselor at the University. Folks here start saving for College education when their kids are born.

thanks for all the info guys, sounds all about right...

Just have to get all the ducks in row and in the right order...

i have one little problem thus far...

When one goes for the VISA interview, you have to prove/state your intention of moving back to your home country after graduating... this proves a bit of a problem if a major construction company gives a scholarship / bursary and in return wants a few years service.

Obviously that would be perfect for me as I fully intend on staying after I graduate... but if the U.S consular picks up on that they won't give me a visa...

So, is it possible to study in the U.S and then after 4 / 5 years apply for residence? I know its a bit more complicated than that... but is my thinking correct?

... here's to diving into tens of thousands of dollars in debt! ;)

oh on the otherhand I forgot to mention.... it is also possible to take out an international student loan... so that might be the solution. But... how do i stay in the U.S after graduating? Other than... ;) Marriage... or hoping to win the Green Card Lottery in the 4 years...

Does having a British Passport help?

Shak,

You can only hope to get a job at a company that's willing to sponsor you for the H1B Visa.($$$$$) So, after your graduation :grads: you can that try to file for change of status - from F1 - student visa to a H1B visa - but it all sounds much easier as what it is in real life. In my daughter's case she got an one year OPT extention on her F1 visa that allowed her to do course related work and yes.... she fell in love with this sweet Yankee boy :cowboy: ....... and the rest is history :ilikeit: But believe you me, this is'nt the easy way either! It seems like there is no easy way to get in to the USA ! But if you can endure........ well worth it!! :magic:

Go to www.uscis.gov for all visa related info.

Have you looked into community colleges?

A Bsc is 4 years and after doing 2 years at a community college you can transfer to a university and finish the degree there?

They are the cheaper ruote. You can get foreign student loans. The interest rate is higher than what locals pay, but it is doable.

Another thing you could consider is University of London, (which is the same as unisa).

The student visa allows you to work only at the college campus.

The last I heard is that many US students are going to Canada. Their fees have not risen as much as at US institutions.

Another option is Europe and Australia.

What are you thinking of studying?

Well so far having spoken to the American Consulate in Cape Town and Jo'burg, it is good to hear that everything IS possible... which is good, but not for the faint hearted.

I am looking to do Construction Management. I am currently about to finish my 1st year at a well known istituition in Cape Town... our lecturers have warned us that there is a good chance that our course is going to go down the pipes. Mainly due to lecturers leaving and the replacements coming in not being of standars... that and money... and deteriorating campuses. One of my lecturers couldn't explain what 'depreciation' was the other day... and he's teaching my major subject: Construction Management. It is worrying. So we've been warned our qualification will most probably not be internationally recognised by the time we finish... hence I need options.

A mate and I are going to togther across to the U.S to start over or continue if they let us. So far we're looking at

Washington University

The University of Washington, Seattle

Joh Brown University, Arkansa

Arizona State University

These are all in the top 10 of U.S Construction Management degrees.

Also looking at others in Florida, Colorado, Houston and also Virginia Tech, Florida Institute of Technology...

To be honest I'm set on America... so i'm willing to take the plunge, as Polf says... you could end up meeting a lovely lady and the rest is history.

We are also keeping options open.. and looking /applying to Australia... we have good contacts there. But the bottom line is... I cannot see myself in Australia and watching Tri-Nations in the middle of an Aussie bar. ;)

I've also just spent 6 years in the UK.. so no way i'm heading back there ;)

So at this point in time, it looks like the International Loan is the way to go... tough to get it granted, but again it is possible. The consulate also mentioned the Co-Op method of studying, where a person can study 6 months, work 6 months etc etc... it helps with the financing.. so we are going to look into it.

The other thing is... alot of uni's dont have spring /jan/feb intakes... so we have to find one that does as we want to start in Jan/Feb... I think waiting until next year is not going to do us any favours...

Anyway folks... comments?

Shak, don't forget this area - Louisiana! LSU (Louisiana State University) at Baton Rouge but UL (University Lafayette) is worth a look. Situated in Acadiana (Cajun Territory - lol). Lots of foreign students - I pulled up the link and think I detect a South African flag in there somewhere :D Anyway, UL might or might not have what you are looking for but like I said, worth having a look through their web site.

http://oia.louisiana.edu/

. But the bottom line is... I cannot see myself in Australia and watching Tri-Nations in the middle of an Aussie bar. ;)

This is totally off topic, but Tri-Nations in Aussie bar!! - the bar will most likely be filled with sa expats

I do not know about "in state tuition fees" if you are sponsored by a US company. In state/out of state fee rules vary from university to university. My daughter is studying at Kentucky University on a J1 student visa and is automatically clasified as out of state. I provided proof of my addres, payslips indicating that I pay state tax etc and she now pays in state fees, which is about 50% less.

Once she graduates (with a J1 student visa), she may work in her study field for 27 (or is it now 28) months. During this time she may apply for jobs and try to find a sponsor for her H1-B visa etc.

Good advice is to shop arounnd for tuition fees. Some unversities as much cheaper than others.