Sign in to follow this  
SJ27

Joining A School Year

Goodday

Can someone please advise:

If moving to Atlanta and the children is grade 5 and 7 currently will it be best to start school in January or new school year? I do not want them to repeat a year.

Can anybody advise on good schools out of experience in the Alpharetta area?

How well do Afrikaans children that is currently in double medium school adapt academically.

Thank you

Susan

Start school when you get there. Don't worry about repeating a year or not (at most they will repeat half a year arriving in Jan - we also arrived in Jan, one skipped half a year ahead and one half a year back) - the important thing is to get them in school because it is the fastest way the kids settle in, make friends etc. And the quicker the kids settle, the easier it is for the whole family.

I can't answer specifically about Atlanta or speak from personal experience of Afrikaans kids but i know a European family (from a small village) whose children did not speak ANY English when they arrived and within 6 months both kids were fluent, and both doing very well at school. The schools have programs to assist non-English speaking kids, and yours will obviously have more English than most of these anyway so they should be just fine.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advise.

Which grades were your children? Why I am asking: will they then attend the same grades as they would be in SA which would be gr6&8 or can it be 5&7? I know they will look at their reportcards and test them before admission but at which school to we begin? Do I take both to Middleschool?

I have read about the ESL program for children whose home language is not English. Luckily they are in a double medium school here so they are used to English in the school.

Thanks for the advise.

Which grades were your children? Why I am asking: will they then attend the same grades as they would be in SA which would be gr6&8 or can it be 5&7? I know they will look at their reportcards and test them before admission but at which school to we begin? Do I take both to Middleschool?

I have read about the ESL program for children whose home language is not English. Luckily they are in a double medium school here so they are used to English in the school.

The school will advise you on all that. We had one grade 1 (went back half a year, mainly because of age) and one grade 7 (got put halfway into grade 8). They will look at age and academics, so bring school reports and I'd recommend also (it's somewhere on the US embassy website for SA) grade translations because they are very different here, eg 80% is good in SA but just "meh" here. If you can get your current teachers to do a "pack" explaining where the are that may help - our kids were at different schools in SA and only one did that - and if you can bring examples of the curriculum or show where they are in maths that will help place them. The systems are different eg math starts streaming into honors etc in middle school (at least here), so our grade 7-8 daughter was ok in the normal math class with a bit of tutoring (SA is behind) but she would normally have been in honors (and has since caught up to that level via summer school catch up). But if your school is any good you will have a counsellor assigned to the kids who will advise you on all of this. Bottom line: don't panic, it's all different but the school will help!

Also, when you have your medical in SA the panel doctor will give you a vaccination worksheet for each family member. Bring this to the school. They won't understand the SA vaccination cards, but this worksheet is done in a way that they can check off that the kids meet the requirements.

• Like 1

Goodday

If moving to Atlanta and the children is grade 5 and 7 currently will it be best to start school in January or new school year? I do not want them to repeat a year.

How well do Afrikaans children that is currently in double medium school adapt academically.

Thank you

Susan

Goodday

Thank you

Susan

Hi Susan

When are you moving?

We moved Jan 2015, my boy (English)- finished Gr 5 in Dec 2014.

We had to wait a week to have a signed lease (home) for school district purposes

We ''applied'' at the Middle school for Gr 6 (he was a strong Math student in SA), they tested him for Gr 6 maths (complete year- as they had 3-4 months left)

He passed with 65% but it wasn't good enough. I think it all depends from school district to school district. (when we enquired afterwards - the town up the road would have accepted him!)

They also had an issue with Spanish - as he never before had any lessons.

At the end, he had to repeat Gr 5.

If you move before DEC, put your kids to school as soon as possible, schools starts anything from end Aug to first week in Sept. (depending on states)

Be warned: depending on states too, you need to have Doctors (Pediatric)USA report with all vaccines form Birth etc. before attending school, if your medical hasn't kicked in, this can set you back $500

SJ27, on 08 Jul 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

Also, when you have your medical in SA the panel doctor will give you a vaccination worksheet for each family member. Bring this to the school. They won't understand the SA vaccination cards, but this worksheet is done in a way that they can check off that the kids meet the requirements.

This very important!

Hi Susan

When are you moving?

We moved Jan 2015, my boy (English)- finished Gr 5 in Dec 2014.

We had to wait a week to have a signed lease (home) for school district purposes

We ''applied'' at the Middle school for Gr 6 (he was a strong Math student in SA), they tested him for Gr 6 maths (complete year- as they had 3-4 months left)

He passed with 65% but it wasn't good enough. I think it all depends from school district to school district. (when we enquired afterwards - the town up the road would have accepted him!)

They also had an issue with Spanish - as he never before had any lessons.

At the end, he had to repeat Gr 5.

If you move before DEC, put your kids to school as soon as possible, schools starts anything from end Aug to first week in Sept. (depending on states)

Be warned: depending on states too, you need to have Doctors (Pediatric)USA report with all vaccines form Birth etc. before attending school, if your medical hasn't kicked in, this can set you back $500

Sorry ment to copy and reply:

My husband will move earlier maybe September. That is why I was wondering because one of the school principals suggested we only start August at the beginning of the school year.

I was hoping te boys could be in grade 6&8 then they would at least have a familiar face in the new school. Guess we will have to see about that. My grade 5 is strong in Maths (80+) but the grade 7 took a dip this year and is average 70+.

Thanks for the medical heads up.

Sorry ment to copy and reply:

My husband will move earlier maybe September. That is why I was wondering because one of the school principals suggested we only start August at the beginning of the school year.

I was hoping te boys could be in grade 6&8 then they would at least have a familiar face in the new school. Guess we will have to see about that. My grade 5 is strong in Maths (80+) but the grade 7 took a dip this year and is average 70+.

Thanks for the medical heads up.

If the school is anything like the ones our kids went to, the other kids will swarm around the new kid because they love the accents!

Very surprised the principal suggested keeping them out till the new school year begins, to be honest. I personally think the quicker they get into the system - school is very different to SA - the better. Even before you figure out how you are supposed to entertain 2 kids all day for 8 months....!!!!

Thank you

We have decided that the kids and I will move end of Dec to start school in Jan17.

Will take it as it comes and will have to worry about issues as they arise.

Thank you

We have decided that the kids and I will move end of Dec to start school in Jan17.

Will take it as it comes and will have to worry about issues as they arise.

Best of luck with it - and I think that's exactly the right attitude :)

Our elder daughter who started in middle school, started at the beginning of the second semester which was around mid January so they may do similar for your kids.

-- By the way if the schools are like here and very strict about showing proof of residence - usually a utility bill and/or rental agreement (sometimes they require more than one thing, ours do) you may not have enough if you've just moved, one hint: although we didn't have a utility bill yet, our provider gave us a letter confirming that we had signed up for services at that address and that was ok for the schools. So if you seem to hit any problems like that remember to come on here and ask for advice, most of us who have been through this have found the workarounds!

My husband must start working in Aug already so he will start looking for place to rent which means by the time we get there we should have proof of residency and utility bill.

Still stressed about the school system change and language change for main learning language (but at least they are fluent in English) and the fact that I must look for work as soon as I get the permit.

Thanks this forums has already helped a lot. I will definitely ask here.

My husband must start working in Aug already so he will start looking for place to rent which means by the time we get there we should have proof of residency and utility bill.

Still stressed about the school system change and language change for main learning language (but at least they are fluent in English) and the fact that I must look for work as soon as I get the permit.

Thanks this forums has already helped a lot. I will definitely ask here.

Ah, ok, good to know that will be sorted out then. Most kids adapt really fast so while I understand you're worried (I think all of is with school age kids were) chances are they will be just fine!