Sign in to follow this  
Eliab

American Elementary Vs Sa Primary School

Hi so you mean he would only be able to start school at 6! Jeepers that

Is late. I hope not.

I'm confused as to why you think it's late, in SA grade 1 is now 6 turning 7.

Oh I see ... I started class 0 at 4yrs old and so thought kindergarten is class 0

Although apparently we don't have class 0 here anymore !!!

Oh I see ... I started class 0 at 4yrs old and so thought kindergarten is class 0

Although apparently we don't have class 0 here anymore !!!

When I started school the rule was turn 6 by June of your grade 1 year, it is now turn 7 by December of grade 1... Although now grade R is compulsory the year before. But it doesn't seem to give any advantage for what they learn in grade 1. We actually decided to put our younger child in a British system school so she could start earlier because she was getting bored mindless from the SA curriculum (or rather, lack of curriculum for early ages). It does mean she is ahead of where the US is at her age as well though, so it may be a bit tricky figuring out where she goes when we move. Edited by SJ27

Thanks for the info. When do you do the big move?

Not sure... still trying to make sure the question is indeed "when" and not "if"... But probably relatively late this year

Hi everyone. We are leaving for the USA in a few months. My son will be turning 3 in October this year. As we have given up our home I'm staying at my parents. He doesn't go to a baby school crèche as I am on maternity leave.... For my baby girl.

So just reading all the above. He will be home with me for a year hey until he turns 4 in USA?? Then only start pre k? Is this right? Then is there things I should be doing to him to teach him for USA or is he young enough and I shouldn't start something? Obviously we play, I read to him, paint, but is there something else I should be doing??? Rather tired with new baby but of so will of course make a plan and fit it in.

Thanks in advance!!! He pretty much plays around during the day with reading and stiff although the coloring is more just him scratching lines etc on the paper!!!!

Hi Whiteloren,

Maybe this will help a bit.... We came over when my daughter was 4 and had been in the normal SA daycare setup fullday. I had always worked so was petrified of what I would do with a young child ALL day. I have found Americans and the system to be extremely child friendly. There are various ways to go, although I suppose each state is different.

Here in Kentucky, our local library does one or two mornings a week of story and play time. Make use of this, it's free, you'll meet other Mom's, and he'll start integrating quicker. Also, I have just had a baby boy (he's 9 months), and really found the culture here to be very supportive of new Mom's. It's really like the TV sitcoms, your neighbour will most likely bring you over a casserole, and other Mom's will offer to come over and help with baby while you shower! Of course, this could be specific to where I live, but i somehow feel like it is cultural. Also it's a very baby friendly society, so you'll probably meet other new Mom's.

We managed to wangle getting our daughter into preschool at 4 - 5 years, which helped a lot. I said our reasoning was that we were concerned about her adapting properly, and that starting off in Preschool would help her to integrate easier and stress less when going into Kindergarten. They bought it ;) They are very pro-diversity, so are very accommodating to children that are from a different nationality. To re-iterate what Janneman said about " no child left behind" - it's true. The teachers and schools (in my experience at least) have gone over and above to be accommodating. Obviously you can send your little guy to daycare - but it's fairly costly (for here although I feel like it's similarly priced to SA?). But from Preschool on it's free, which is great.

I doubt your son will have any problems "catching up" if you feel he is missing out on anything due to the move. I have found that the average classroom here has a wide range of abilities, it's not like all advanced kids in one class and all challenged kids in another. They seem to split them across classes. At first it was a bit strange, but I have found it to be a wonderful learning opportunity for my daughter. She has learnt that not everyone styles through school, some need a little more help, and honestly it is not as judgmental here. There seems to be more acceptance by the kids themselves. They really cater for any needs that the kids have, if there are speech issues - they see the Speech Therapist. If there are maths / reading issues there is usually help for that, and if there are behavioural issues, there is an onsite teacher to help the child within the normal class setting. You'll see, it will be a pleasant surprise - there is a lot of support staff in the schooling system!

Good luck - and trust me us Saffers are strong - you'll be fine!

Hi thank you for the info. It helps just coming to the forum and "chatting"...

As I have quit my job and am living at my folks with the kids.... While husband is working away from us. It's been emotional and really harder than I thought. I am such a strong person but I think the stress of the imminent move and having had a new baby and no husband is getting to me.

So happy to hear good things about the schools. I will definitely make use of the classes and library etc!!

Funny thing is that here I was career obsessed and now all I want is to be with the kids. May look at doing business from home..... That's a whole other stress!!!

Thanks everyone again you all help so much.

• Like 1