Sign in to follow this  
sonbossie

Citizenship Application

Can you all please share your timelines on how long it took from sending in your citizenship application, fingerprints, getting the interview letter, interview and then oath ceremony? And also in what state and year you did it.

Thanks

Hi, these are rough timelines for NY:

N-400 application - Sep 12, 2013

Biometrics - Oct 10, 2013

Pre-interview letter - Nov 14, 2013

Interview - Dec 9, 2013

Oath - Jan 17, 2014

So it's about a 4 month process, and then passports if you want to travel, are about 6 weeks.

Good luck!

Thanks gman! You guys are lucky. I just read that Houston is the slowest in the country. We applied Sep, went for fingerprints in October and still waiting for interview.

My timeline (Phoenix lockbox, Chicago, local office)

Sent N400 in 14 October 2014

Fingerprints, 11 November 2014

Letter with interview date: 3 January 2015

Interview : 4 February 2015

Oath : 11 March 2015 [today :-) ]

So pretty much 5 months.

• Like 1

Oath : 11 March 2015 [today :-) ]

Congratulations :)

Congrats!

From the date I mailed the application to passport in hand was 5 months.

Geez... reading these posts makes me green with envy - 8 more months until I lodge my application!

4 years for me to file still, haha, but rather than envy I have to say I feel incredibly lucky to have had the easy avenue of green card via DV rather than the long difficult road of H1.

• Like 1

For me it was approx:

Applied: Sep 2013

Biometrics: Oct 2013

Interview: Dec 2013

Ceremony: end Jan 2014

(California)

(I applied at the ceremony for my passport - highly recommend doing this - just fill in the forms before).

My passport arrived in the mail 1 week to the day after the ceremony (I paid the expedited fee as I was traveling 3 weeks later).

I applied for a passport card too - that arrived a few days later separately.

Still hard to believe that I have that blue passport in hand!

• Like 3

Finally got our interview letters yesterday!!! So excited. Will be going for our interviews in April..... So that is 7 months after we applied

Malamute, Thanks for the info about applying for our passports at the ceremony, I will definitely be doing that! What do you use the passport card for?

Edited by sonbossie
  • Like 1

Hi Sonbossie. Congratulations - citizenship just around the corner!

At the interview you should receive a pack including passport application forms. At the ceremony, they ask that all those who want to apply for a passport take the oath (you have to recite an oath for that) - and then those who will apply all stand and recite the oath. They have a table outside afterwards to lodge the applications. Loads of people don't fill in the forms before, and they take ages to do it there. So fill in before, and all you need is for the person at the table to witness your signature on the bottom. Saves having to Q at the post office (and usually you need to make an appointment etc.) at a future date.

The passport card can be used for land entry - for travel to/fm Canada, and for example, if you take a Caribbean Cruise. You don't need the full passport book - just the card - it is quite like a driver's license card. I mostly got it just because I could! It is another useful form of photo ID if you ever need it. I suppose if you live close to the Canadian border and cross frequently, it is a much easier thing to keep in your wallet than going around with your passport all the time. But, I haven't actually used mine at all yet!

Hang in there....things are close....time to study those 100 questions.

I became a US citizen today!!!! So excited and thankful!!

Here is my timeline for Houston TX:

Applied: Sep 2014

Biometrics: Oct 2014

Interview: April 2015

Ceremony: 13 May '15

• Like 2