Sign in to follow this  
marelda

L1A Vs H1B

Hello from sunny hot SA! (still here)

I work for a large family business in SA and was in the process of going the L1a route to get to the USA. First fees paid to immigration lawer, but ive paused a bit as my sister (currently a USA citizen) knows a family who have a huge company in the USA and are willing to go the H1b route for me/us.

My question is, do you think we have a chance here, given its sort of a lottery in itself? I have 14 years experinece in Communications/Marketing and have a Bachelors Degree.

And yes already entered the GCL...

TIA

Marelda

H1b is essentially a work permit valid for 3 years, can be extended for 3 years. No guarantee of ever getting green card. Would the employer be willing to consider this:

An EB3 Green Card is an employment based, third preference visa that provides lawful permanent residence in the US to professionals, skilled workers and unskilled workers with a permanent offer of employment in the US

The L1A requirements are identical to those of a Green card and this visa is recognized as a "Dual intent" visa by the US. In other words this can be converted with relative ease to a permanent residence status.

You would also have several years to do this as the initial period of validity plus the renewals available (Two) give a total of 7 years entry.

The H1B as Old has stated is simply a "work permit" that, once expired past the renewal period, is "over" and you would need to go back to SA. While it has been done, even by some on this forum, there is no "easy" road to permanent residence on an H1B as there is with an L1A

H1B seems to be such luck of the draw with respect to what happens after. I've know people coming over on H1 who had green cards within 2 years as their employer moved quickly to sponsor them for GCs, and I've known people who lost their jobs and couldn't get another H1 sponsor in time and had to go back to SA.

• Like 1

H1B seems to be such luck of the draw with respect to what happens after. I've know people coming over on H1 who had green cards within 2 years as their employer moved quickly to sponsor them for GCs, and I've known people who lost their jobs and couldn't get another H1 sponsor in time and had to go back to SA.

Exactly. Apart from the issuing of the original H1B visa, which seems to almost be a lottery in and of itself, the time after a successful application with no guaranteed path to Permanent Residency and ultimately Citizenship would involve far too much uncertainty for my liking. My wife works with a bunch of people here on H1s along their spouses and children, some with children who were born here as US citizens and have known no other life. Two of them this year alone have not had their visas renewed by their employer and are going to have to go back to their respective countries in central Africa. It's almost too brutal to imagine and gives me an incredible appreciation for how truly lucky DV lottery category winners are.