Sign in to follow this  
LaurenB

Cost of bringing pets to the US

HI there - just wanted to get a sense of the costs of bringing my pets across to the US ? I cannot get a suitable answer from the few companies I have contacte here (SA) - I am looking at a ball-park so I know what I am in for.... thank you  

Hi LaurenB - it has been too long since I brought mine over - and a big factor is the size of the pets.  Are you on FB?  There is a group there that is all about South Africans emigrating with pets.  This forum is very quiet of late, so you may have better luck there.

Good luck with it -well worth it  - I would never leave them behind - but it does cost!

thanks - I am on the group ... I will see if I can get some info off this as well ... I don't dare leave them behind so I need to start saving !!! :)

Way back in 2013 we brought our two miniature dachshunds over from JHB to Tucson AZ with Keringa Petwings and it cost about R15k.

For context they each had their own crate and also spent an extra week boarding in JHB, due to excessive heat at their port of entry in Atlanta. The Rand was only about 10 to the dollar at the time, so I’m guessing it’ll be more expensive now, but it’s a ballpark figure at least.

Also a while back, end 2014 we brought our cat over for R10k (Cape Town to San Francisco, probably cheaper to the east coast ) which at the time was around $1k I think. I think there was an option around R8k, but we went for klm as they have a pet station for transit where cats get put into bigger cages while their travel crates are cleaned/dogs get taken out for a walk. We paid for a door to door service so the company took care of all the customs etc stuff as well, we just had to get the vet stuff done at the appropriate time before leaving.

Edited by SJ272

The CDC has a new policy of banning dogs from 100 countries for a year. South Africa is on the list.

Appears from the article in some case the will still allow the import of dogs with all the required paperwork. 

High-Risk Countries for Dog Rabies | Bringing an Animal into U.S. | Importation | CDC

What is a Valid Rabies Vaccination Certificate? | Bringing an Animal into U.S. | Importation | CDC

Edited by oscar