Sign in to follow this  
Bobotjie

We Want To Go Back

Remember that the 30 months don't need to be consecutive. In order to meet the physical presence test, you need to have been actually present in the USA for at least 30 months in the 5 years prior to your application to naturalize. You can be here 6 months, gone for 4, back for 10 months, gone for 2 etc. As long as the total in the USA adds up to 30. (This is in addition to not breaking your continuous residency for more than 6 months)

Good point, Malamute! It's also good to remember that all trips, time spent away and places you have resided (even for short periods) outside of the US have to be noted and accounted for on your Naturalization application when you apply for Citizenship. Excessive travel and time spent living outside of the states may be scrutinized and could come up in your interview. So just remember to keep a record or journal of your travels back and forth.

To anyone contemplating return to SA - if you have been away for a while, the SA you remember may be very different from what you will find. Please don't forget about the crime, that SA is the rape capital of the world, the hijack capital of the world, the (violent) public protest capital of the world, the farm murder capital of the world, the BEE and AA legislation that will likely discriminate against you, laws such as expropriation of property without compensation, high inflation, high taxes with little in return (no SS, Medicare, Medicaid), a weak currency, universities that are rapidly changing and where you will be unlikely to want to send your children, where private school is almost mandatory (if you can afford it) etc.

All I am saying is, please think very carefully and return if you wish, but do not be under an illusion of what you will find.

• Like 1

I'm not back in SA yet. My family though, is making it pretty impossible to do anything, so I'm just spending my days sending job application after job application. Pretty soon, I think, I will just have to get a divorce and go to SA on my own.

Seems like you have some tough decisions ahead of you - good luck.

I'm not back in SA yet. My family though, is making it pretty impossible to do anything, so I'm just spending my days sending job application after job application. Pretty soon, I think, I will just have to get a divorce and go to SA on my own.

I can understand someone wanting to come back to SA - missing family, firends and your culture. We came back to SA -- the worst decision we could ever have made! Although we have Woolworths and other nice things -- depending on where you live -- all the "nice things" about living in SA quickly dont mean much when you see how they are burning our Universities down and you worry where you children will be safe and be able to study peacefully one day. Getting jobs here in SA are tough -- we are white and most jobs are given preference to darker colour skins. My son-in-law is a coloured guy and he cant find a job! He has been out of a job for 6 months!

Food here and cost of living has become so expensive! the service in our hospitals is still good -- but on the decline ---- we are wondering who on earth will look after us when we get old one day! Medical aid fees have gone through the roof and our Rand is worthless -- tough to travel overseas,

As for us --- when my eldest son finishes school at the end of next year -- we are setting our sights to go back to the USA. One thing you have on your side -- your USA Citizenship! You have the luxury of climbing on a plane if you dont like SA and go back to the USA -- so why not try it!

Good luck with it all!!

• Like 1

[quote name="Sol1" post="68218" timestamp="1478544516"

As for us --- when my eldest son finishes school at the end of next year -- we are setting our sights to go back to the USA. One thing you have on your side -- your USA Citizenship! You have the luxury of climbing on a plane if you dont like SA and go back to the USA -- so why not try it!

Good to hear Sol1!

I don't think there is a single person I know still in SA that doesn't have or who isn't working towards a 'plan b' option right now. My sister is leaving to join my brother in England at the end of the month, which I never EVER thought would happen!

Some of my most staunch, die hard, "I'm only leaving in a body bag" friends and remaining family members are busy calculating their points for Aus, NZ and Canada. One of the most resilient of these just applied for his U.K. passport, you know... "just in case!" Even my retired mother in law has recently been weighing the risk/reward benefits of completely abandoning her government-based teacher pension and dusting off her British passport...

It just seems that the latest water crisis coupled with FeesMustFall and the State Capture report is proving to be just more in an ever increasingly long list of serious red flags that are pushing people beyond their limit.

As I've said elsewhere, we left a very happy, contented and comfortable life behind in SA back in 2012/13. Load shedding was at a low and we both had great jobs and had suffered no direct crime to speak of, other than some cable theft in the area that knocked out our internet a few times. But what a difference four years makes! I know life is still pretty good for many back home, but at what point do you, as the proverbial frog in the pot say, "Hey! I'm pretty sure that this water wasn't bubbling a minute ago?"

I far as I know, I don't think that Eyvn has his US citizenship yet. He is a 'class of 2012', like us, and we still have just under a year left until we can apply for naturalization. Which I think makes Eyvn's situation even more heartbreaking. I honestly couldn't say exactly what we would do if we were in the same boat. Luckily, we have access to the U.K., which would almost definitely be our first port of call before South Africa, "just in case" this whole U.S. experiment doesn't work out for us ;-)

All the best to you and others on this thread going through similar problems and weighing equally tough decisions.

• Like 1

My husband is away on a business trip right now. I've been going to sleep feeling perfectly safe despite no fence, no wall, no burglar bars, no security gates, and an alarm which is only ever switched on when we are away on holiday. In SA, despite living in a "safe" suburb, with walls, gates, bars, alarm on every night, armed response etc I never felt comfortable alone at home with the kids. All this was really brought home to me last night when, kids asleep and totally dark outside, I heard a noise outside and my reaction was ... to open the door to see what it was (because it would only have been a 'critter' of some sort!) In SA I would have had my hand on the panic button. Yes I miss having a full time domestic (and SS2 for watching cricket) but if this is the trade-off - even this alone, never mind many other things I could mention - it's priceless. And this idea that life is always worse materially in the US is just not true either. I know many saffers who live very comfortably indeed. Some brought it with, some made it here, and yes some are not where they were back in SA but I personally don't know anyone who is truly struggling or who thinks it isn't worth it.

Jason, yes - We were back over the summer and I know many people who have kids with a year or two left of high school and very' very worried about what's next - plan B is uppermost in many minds.

Edited by SJ27
  • Like 1